Usei asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

When my neighbor smokes inside, smoke comes through my walls *strongly*. How do I minimize/eliminate the smoke coming in my apartment? ?

It's in our lease to not smoke in the units or within 20 feet of them. I have already reported the situation to management but to my knowledge nothing has been done yet (inspections are sometime this month so they'll probably confront her then). Most people here just go stand by the mailboxes at the street to smoke (unit doors face an open air walkway) which is just fine with me. The neighbor is an elderly lady who I don't think can get outside and down the stairs too well, and she's nice so I didn't *really* want to report her, but with two young kids plus myself with mild asthma I can't handle it anymore. So what is the best way to get rid of the smoke that comes in through my kitchen wall with such strength that my eyes burn and it starts me coughing in any room of the apartment? I can't afford a fancy air purifier and am looking for reasonably effective yet cheap solutions. Thanks. 

I would worry that her smoking and being elderly makes her habit a Fire Risk.  She can't be that nice, if she is breaking the Tenancy Agreement and smoking inside her apartment.  You could ask her to consider smoking next to an open window.  She maybe unaware that her smoking is causing such a gross smell in your kitchen.  The Apartments were obviously not built correctly, so perhaps write a letter to the Management Company, that unless this issue is sorted, you will report them to The Planning and Building Association or the Local Council Offices, who give Planning permission when Residential premises are built.

I don't see how smoke can filter through walls. Maybe you have a mutual cold air return or something?

See about buying a filter for that? I don't know if you can, but it's worth a try. Go to Home Depot or lowes and ask?

You find yourself some ethyl mercaptan certain times you can find it on eBay or you can buy it online get yourself a drill bit and drill a hole at baseboard level do it sometime that your neighbors not home get yourself a big plastic syringe. And shoot about 4 oz of it through the hole in the wall at the baseboard level. Or if you can't find ethyl mercaptan get skunk fusion! Big plastic syringe and shoot it through the hole in the wall immediately spackle the wall on your side with some Durham water putty sets in 5 minutes! Ethyl mercaptan smells like a gas leak it'll really freak your neighbor out! Skunk fusion well smell like a whole herd of skunks! Either way the neighbor will be gone gone gone.

• patty

contact the management again. sometimes if a few people complain more gets done

i would just keep reporting her

Back in the day, nearly everyone welcomed smokers. I remember as a child visiting non-smoking friends and family and they all had pedestal ashtrays already set up in their living room. Not once do I remember hearing someone say, "the smoke bothers me".  Don't misunderstand me... smoking is bad! but how come in 2020 everyone is allergic to cigarettes but back then, they weren't?