Lense to shoot kids basketball games?

I’m creating a YouTube channel that will feature my sons highlights from his Basketball games. I’m going to spend some money, but don’t want to break the bank. I’m only going to be shooting video, and would like to have zoom capability. I want to the videos to look good, but they don’t have to be professional. I understand these gyms have low lighting. If I were to use an 18-135mm with a f/3.5-5.6, is that really that bad? What do you recommend? 

• keerok

Your best bet would be a 70-200mm f/2.8 but that would mean not only breaking the bank but also selling the farm and all the cows.

Think more around that focal range. See what fits your budget, 70-200mm, 70-300mm, 75-300mm, or 55-250mm. That 135mm just won't do even if you're standing courtside.

And yes, a cheap Sony Handycam would do far much better than your dSLR in this case.

Sony handycam and a tripod

external mic if you want sound