What is the meaning of "consequence"?

My father sometimes tells me "there will be consequences" but I don't even know what that means.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Consequences means that there will be actions that will follow as a result of your behaviour.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

He literally means that you will be punished for what you did. 

• 2 months ago

Depends on context.  If it's addressed to you after you did something wrong, it suggests discipline or a punishment is coming.

If it was a response to something else like, say, a news item, that means something bad (and possibly unexpected) will happen.

A consequence is just a result of some action, but when someone says "there will be consequences" it implies negative consequences.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Neither does Trump.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

A consequence is what is the effect your actions have on you and other people.  It can be a natural effect  or it can be an effect which someone has placed on you, usually to teach you a lesson.  

Examples:  

* Your Dad said if you miss your curfew, the consequence will be that you will be grounded for a week.

* You drove while stoned, and the  consequence was that you had an accident.

* You are always late to work, and the consequence is that you were fired.

There are also good consequences, such as getting good grades because you studied hard.

• 2 months ago

the result of an act.  if you do A, then B will happen.  B would be the consequence.  What your dad means by "B", though, you would have to ask him.  For all I know the entire extent of the consequence is his statement that there will be one.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It means you will be punished/bad things will happen to you.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

consequence means the result of your action.   For example: if you dont go to school, your father will not give you any allowance.   the zero allowance is the consequence of your action of not going to school. 

some similar words are punishments, penalties, effect, etc. 

• 2 months ago

It's like this:

"con" = "with"

"sequence" = two or more things of which one leads or follows another

• 2 months ago

That means that your behavior will result in some sort of punishment, hopefully, designed to reinforce the fact that you behavior will not be repeated in the future.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.