Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Does anyone not see anything special with going out to restaurants. Restaurant food is often medicore and not even fresh?

Even for holidays I don't like eating at restaurants. It's a little more time consuming to cook but I would rather cook so I can season mg food to my liking and give myself the portions I want. I think most people go to restaurants for the aesthics and so they can have cute pictures

I feel pretty much the same way regarding eating in family type restaurants. Good restaurants are much better but they are usually pretty pricey. My wife has something of an obsession in eating in restaurants of any type but I think that's because I do most of the cooking at home.

• So I'm supposed to cook every damn meal?

• Clive

What is medicore?  If you meant mediocre, you're going to the wrong restaurants.

If on holiday when you can't cook, obviously you need them.  At home, the point is to go out as a group and eat together.  And some people just can't be bothered to cook.

If you find restaurants mediocre, then you aren't choosing restaurants very well. Find better ones. I go to restaurants partly as a social thing and partly because I like to eat someone else's cooking occasionally, like once a month or so. And I usually order something that's not convenient to cook at home.

Some people can't cook. It's sad, unfortunate, and expensive, but somehow they manage to burn pasta and keep it too wet; somehow!?! Nobody wants your nasty burnt up, underdone, badly seasoned, oversalted. oddly paired crap food on a special occasion. In your rented house while 3 toddlers run around, a mean drunk is giving you the stink eye, and some perv is waiting for an opportunity to sniff your shoes.

If you're a great cook and have a nice peaceful home to cook in, I am saying you're not allowed but what can I do to enforce that... before Thursday? Yes, part of a restaurant is ambiance. Olive Garden for example has OK-ish food but in the middle of the burbs, you are transported to perpetual twilight evening in an Italian village. Rococo pillars, wine bottles, and finely crafted (machined in Oxnard, CA) furniture. It's a farce but so is your marriage. Let the people Instagram their fun.

I like going out once in a while. 

I usually order something that I do not often cook at home. 

It is nice to be able to sit and have a meal that I did not have to shop for, prep for, cook, clean up for. 

• CB

I like going out occasionally - sometimes you find a new ideas to try at home that you may not of thought about or heard of....but going to the ridiculous American Food Chain restaurants (TGIFs, Chilis, Ruby Tuesdays, Red Robin, etc) is completely uninspiring and at best mediocre.

I think you're going to the wrong restaurants!

• Anton

nah, I doubt that "aesthics and so they can have cute pictures" is correct.

Real reasons?

1.  They are not good cooks.

2.  They do not have the time to prepare and cook.

3.  They have no taste.  They have not experienced good food.

You must not be familiar with any good establishments.