Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Should i cut ties with my brother?

Hi i am 20 years old with asthma and I'm looking to become someone big in my life. Me and my brother have been on good terms for most of our lives but lately its been very disappointing. My brother smokes a lot of weed inside the house, I have let him know it severely affects my asthma and other members of our household doesnt like it either. We had made an agreement that he smokes in the balcony. But everytime i come inside the house i see him smoke in the washroom, and in the house and he tells me not to be a little *****. He has always been greedy and selfish for the majority of my time spent with him and he is lazy, lacks ambition and work ethic. Life is short and we all die which is why i'm being as calm as i can without losing my ****. Should i cut ties with my brother? I need some advice and help with people in similar situations?

Mske an anonymous call to the cops 

• BOOM

You should have as little as possible to do with anyone who treats you as he has. Anyone who doesn't respect the limitation of your asthma is not someone you need in your life.

Dude move out and get an apartment

Get the other people in the house to back you up on this and stop him smoking indoors. Your parents should be dealing with this matter. I suppose you could move out and share accommodation with a friend if you can't stand this any more.

You are a legal adult. Hopefully an employed one. Move. You can stay close with your brother and live with non-smokers instead of with him. Move.

First you say you've been on good terms with him most of your life and then later you say he's "always been greedy and selfish".   I'm not sure what to make of that, but you don't seem to know what you think of him!  Anyway, I don't blame you for wanting to cut ties with him, but it's impossible to do this while you live with him.  So your only option is to do what it takes to get out of there as soon as you can.  Look at rooms in group houses on craigslist.  This is the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to bail.

if its illegal where you are turn him in, also, it wouldnt hurt to move out

Move out so you don't have to breathe it all the time.

It doesn’t matter if you cut ties with him or not. Everyone goes their separate ways eventually. If you go to college, you won’t see your brother. If you join the military, you won’t see your brother. If you get married and start a family, you won’t see your brother. You see him now because you live in the same house as him. When you become an adult, you will move out, get a job, get your own place, start a family, etc., you will hardly have time to be with him. You will either be with your family, wife, and kids or be at your job. The only time you will see or talk to your brother is at family reunions or on the phone and you can choose to hang up or not go. Just hang in there. Life will get better.

Work on yourself, not your brother.

Negotiate with him for what you want. Recruit support from others in your household in managing the smoke. 

Never lose your ****, ever, regardless of who you’re dealing with.