Yankees2017 asked in SportsBaseball · 2 months ago

Why is Commissioner Rob Manfred so obsessed with making so many unnecessary changes to MLB?

The only idea I agree with is expansion and realignment. But why is he so obsessed with pace of play? In reality, his ideas would only shave off at least 5 minutes! How long before he implements a half-inning clock? Let’s say it’s a 10

minute clock every half inning or until the 3rd out is made, see how ridiculous this sounds?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Actually expansion and realignment are both unnecessary and counterproductive to quality baseball.  As to rule changes, the more you get away from the history of the game, the less it resembles the game.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

because pervs?

• Bob
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I,unlike you like some of the changes that he has made, like making relief pitchers face at least 3 hitters before they can be taken out of the game.

• 2 months ago

Expansion is the worst idea of them all. There isn't enough pitching to go around now. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You'll find some hints if you look at Manfred's history...

A lawyer by career, Manfred was mostly a "behind the scenes" guy under former commissioner Bud Selig, and his selection to be Selig's successor surprised many who expected a higher-profile guy like Joe Torre or a retired U.S. Senator or CEO.

Manfred's specialty was working primarily on labor issues...not only working with the Players' Union in negotiations but also finding legal avenues to work against them when it benefited the owners and the MLB "brand."  

Despite the massive player contracts you see every year, many still argue that MLB as a whole is "fixed" against labor and negotiations to hammer out the next collective bargaining agreement is expected to be contentious to the point where an owners' lockout or players' strike (both of which could cripple the league's profitability) seems imminent.

If you look at the "improvements" Manfred is suggesting, most seem to be aimed at appeasing TV executives who complain that the game is "too slow" and "too outdated."  His proposals sound "gimmicky" because that's exactly what they are...gimmicks to appeal to network "bean counters" who only look at ratings data and the growing generation of short-attention-span viewers that drive those ratings.

In short, Manfred's appointment as commissioner was clearly a move by owners to make the threat of future labor problems "go away"....and his strategy seems to be to land the fattest possible TV deal to increase the "pie" divided between players and owners.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

That's five minutes of commercial time to the major networks. Actually the problem with baseball is that there is too much of it. Each game is too long, but there are so many games that they don't have a lot of importance. NFL games are limited in quantity and therefore each game means something. When you have all of the teams playing baseball everyday it becomes unimportant, not just because the game doesn't mean as much statistically as a football game, but because if there is always baseball on every television every afternoon, it becomes common place. It is simply not as exciting as it should be. Limit the number of games and ad revenue will go up and the games will be more interesting to viewers. Yeah, I know the stadium hot dog vendors won't like it but with three fewer games a week, all those empty seats would be filled. Baseball is not all that exciting as it is currently played, and while I doubt they will ever limit the number of games, they may make it more exciting by keeping it moving along, so I applaud anything that can help me stay awake for an entire game...or even make me interested enough to sit through an entire game.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.