What can I make for lunch when I just have scraps?

Have no food in the house, just things like tinned tomatoes, beans, dry pasta etc. How can I make a meal from any of this?

I don't JUST have these things, I have a few other things. Check your kitchen and I'll have those casual foods like rice.

• Speed

Simmer the tomatoes with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Mash them up a bit if you like, or leave them as-is. Cook some pasta, drain it, and top it with the tomatoes.

I'd need to know what kind of beans before I can suggest an appetizing use. If they're black beans or lentils, they make a nice soup.

• Taylor2 months agoReport

I meant baked beans haha. I'll definitely try that recipe.

cook some rice.. the COOK all the other things together to make a sauce with to put over the rice..

• denise

Savory pastas,  Tomato rice,  Boston baked beans, Any of these with a chunk of bread is as good as a feast!

I'd go to the store and buy something decent.

Pasta and canned tomatos would make a poor mans pasta with some herbs

The other night, we had an excellent one-dish meal made with a can of diced tomatoes, some Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, parsley), a can of Italian flat green beans (regular green beans would work), simmered together and when the pasta was cooked to a very firm al dente, it was added to the skillet to cook a little more and let the pasts absorb the flavors.

We used rotini but you can use practically any pasta - spaghettit, linguine, small shells, elbows, penne, bowtie...

We added Italian fennel sausage but meatless will work.

• Groovy_Unicorn

Try it with baby Yukon potatos next time. Then it's called fusseli 😉

• Clive

What comes obviously to mind is spaghetti in tomato sauce.  Simmer half a tin (or a whole small tin) of tinned tomatoes for 10 minutes, put in a little basil or oregano if you have it, taste and add a little sugar if it's too sharp for your taste (I got that one off Nigella Lawson), meanwhile boil the spaghetti, drain it, and mix it in.

If it's baked beans you have, heat them up, and mix with cooked spaghetti to make something more substantial.

Beans on toast is obvious if you have bread.

So don't tell me you have no food in the house!

What else do you have?

You can put just about anything on pasta if you're desperate enough.  It's actually pretty good with just butter and pepper.   If you have any thing like cheese or a tin of tuna, that works too. 

Pasta, tin of beans and tin of tomatoes won't win any cooking awards, but it will taste just fine depending on how hungry you are.

Throw your scraps that are cooked into a blender chop them up and make a soup out of it and then take some pasta and break it up into little pieces and you'll have a hearty soup

• John

Pasta fazul is a classic Italian dish - peasant, homestyle cooking. Pasta, beans and some sauce for which tinned tomatoes and seasonal would be just fine. Make it like a stew, wet but not soupy. Yes, I said pasta AND beans. It's good.