Can a manager ask an employee for a doctors note as proof for lactating ( pumping at work)?

So my girlfriend just had our son 7 months ago and is pumping milk at work. So now there is a new manager and he told my girlfriend that she need a doctors note to prove she is breastfeeding. She has already had accommodations for work before this manager.

• LizB

You'll have to check the laws in your state. For example, in California, a mother's right to pump in the workplace are protected by state law, and her employer cannot require that she produce a doctor's note. It may help, but it's not mandatory. Federal laws protecting breastfeeding mothers don't address this particular issue (though they DO protect her right to pump milk in a private location that is not a bathroom), so you or your GF should research your state's laws to see if an employer is allowed to make a doctor's note a requirement where you live.

• Alesandro2 months agoReport

We are in California thanks for your response.

Ask him if he really wants to be on the 6 o'clock news?

i dont see why not

I mean...... I have no idea why you think that would be impossible. The answer is obviously yes. Anyone can ask for that, and the manager can ask for anything. I can ask for it if I wanted. It just doesn't make any sense why you think they can't do so. There isn't any kind of force of nature preventing it from happening.