Can a manager ask an employee for a doctors note as proof for lactating ( pumping at work)?

So my girlfriend just had our son 7 months ago and is pumping milk at work. So now there is a new manager and he told my girlfriend that she need a doctors note to prove she is breastfeeding. She has already had accommodations for work before this manager.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • LizB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

You'll have to check the laws in your state. For example, in California, a mother's right to pump in the workplace are protected by state law, and her employer cannot require that she produce a doctor's note. It may help, but it's not mandatory. Federal laws protecting breastfeeding mothers don't address this particular issue (though they DO protect her right to pump milk in a private location that is not a bathroom), so you or your GF should research your state's laws to see if an employer is allowed to make a doctor's note a requirement where you live.

• Alesandro2 months agoReport

We are in California thanks for your response.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ask him if he really wants to be on the 6 o'clock news?

• 2 months ago

i dont see why not

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I mean...... I have no idea why you think that would be impossible. The answer is obviously yes. Anyone can ask for that, and the manager can ask for anything. I can ask for it if I wanted. It just doesn't make any sense why you think they can't do so. There isn't any kind of force of nature preventing it from happening.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.