Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 4 months ago

Musically, what year did the 1970s end and the 1980s "begin?"?

When did signature 70s music (disco, Eagles, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Robert Clapton etc) give way to wailing power ballad music like Journey, Survivor, etc that defined the 80s? I don't know I wasn't born yet

Historically speaking, I believe that the 70s ended on July 12, 1979 with the Disco Demolition Night. That moment caused disco to die down. However, that’s only if we talk about disco music.

In terms of music overall, I don’t think the 80s started until probably the middle of 1981. The first half of the year still saw elements of the 70s (ex. Kool and the Gang, Hall and Oates, Queen), as a lot of that music was released in 1979 or 1980. However, by 1981, the music really sounds much more like 80s music in the sense of synthesizers and more electro pop sounding music.

I’d say the music scene of the 80s was in full swing by the time Michael Jackson had released the album, Thriller.

Well technically the 1970s ended on December 31st, 1979 at 11:59:59 and the 1980s began at the stroke of midnight on January 1st, 1980, so there's that.

I noticed that as soon as 1980 came around, Disco died, and New Wave took over. The death of Disco was sudden and unexpected.

UK:  Punk was in the 1970s then came the New Romantics which signalled a 1980s shift IMHO