Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

As a security guard should I call 911 or the non emergency police number if I catch someone urinating in public ??

I am new to being a security guard.  the issue is if I call the non-emergency number by the time they get here the person will obviously be gone.  They might not consider it important or an emergency. 

Update:

to anyone who says I can detain somebody or make a citizen's arrest. how am I supposed to do that when I can't physically touch them. I have no mace, no pepper spray, no baton, no handcuffs, no brass knuckles and no place to hold them. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I agree that's no emergency. You can stop them or maybe write them a violation or ask other guards to help you.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

That wouldn't qualify as an emergency. YOU don't even qualify as a desk jockey.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The nature of the call determines how fast the police respond, not the number you dial. They may pick up the phone faster if you dial 911, but the police response will be the same. They will not consider it an emergency just because you dial 911 

• DJC
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Yes, but misuse of 911 is a crime.  If you call 911 for a non-emergency, you'll be cited or even arrested.  This is the dilemma.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If  UR a security guard, you'd Know this or to  just ask super or co worker.

no it is Not an emergency...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

This is a minor infraction.  Unless he's being a nuisance, I'd ignore it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

As long as they are being discrete, leave them alone.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

As the security guard, you have the right to temporarily detain the offender until the police arrive as long the offender is committing the offense on your company's property.  If you catch someone urinating in public, you detain him/her, call the NON-EMERGENCY police number, and file a complaint.  The offender will then either be arrested or issued a citation, depending on the laws of your jurisdiction - some places are harsher on public urination than others.

• Bruce
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Company policy determines if you can detain someone on their property. Detaining someone in public property is not legal in all jurisdictions. In my state, it can only be done with a felony. 

• 2 months ago

Are you not allowed to administer a personal beating? It doesn't get more instant than that.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Someone urinating in public is not an emergency by any definition of the word.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Let me put it this way, if I were the employer who hired you?  I would fire you the next day. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.