Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

ESA rights... Please help. ?

So this is kind of long... My family and I recently moved, I ha e a legitimate ESA after failed medication attempts for severe anxiety after a horrible marriage and divorce... 

We have been here two weeks... In the 2 weeks we have been here my neighbors dog has tried attacking my family 4 or 5 times, one of those times coming inches from biting my daughter in the face (which was reported verbally in the office immediately)... Plus ive put prior complaints in, one being on facebook messenger... So proof.. 

Anyway I was outside and my 3 year old son decided to come out accidentally letting my ESA out... My ESA spotted the dog thinking they could become friends so he goes to sniff.... The dog attacks him... Every time i get my dog loose that dog keeps coming (while the owner isnt doing **** to help stop it, just stairing). 

I reported it to the office immediately after i got him in and got passed my panic attack... 

Next thing i know, we got a letter stating my esa needs to leave immediately. 

Ive wrote in begging for a second chance... With evidence, with complaints, with written statements on my dogs temporment... Anything to get a second chance... Still nothing back...

What can i do?!?!?!

Unfortunately, we just can't let our dogs off-leash anymore unless we're in a specially enclosed area or the dog always comes back 100% of the time, even with distractions. 

And very very few dogs have that kind of perfect obedience--even well-trained hunting dogs goof off or get into fights sometimes. 

I don't know if you can fight this legally, if you have to move, always keep your ESA on a 6ft leash (non-retractable).  It sounds crazy strict--lots of people let their dogs run loose!--but it's so risky.  

And always carry bear spray in case someone else's dog attacks.  

• Star_of_Darkness

There is nothing legal they can do since their dog was off leash and they knew the dog was aggressive and an ESA means nothing. Its a pet by law 

LOL at "ESA rights".  ESA's are just PETS nothing more.  There's no training, certification, insurance ANYTHING. All calling your do nothing dog an ESA does is it MIGHT allow you to live where dogs aren't allowed and (for now) you can fly with them.

YOU were at wrong here because you LET YOUR DOG OFF LEASH.  Poor excuse that your three year old ran outside and the dog got out.  What if your child ran right into the street??  You should have a childproof doorknob so the toddler CAN'T get out.  I also doubt this was the first time your dog was running loose or that the other dog attacked your dog or they wouldn't be making you get rid of your dog.  

Get over yourself.  Your dog has NO "rights" ESPECIALLY when you haven't even bothered to train it and do NOTHING to keep it from running loose.  You're pathetic.

edit: JUDITH - LOOK at the attached image.  You don't have a CLUE about ESA's/Service Dogs!  Stop spreading such COMPLETELY WRONG information!  But I'm betting you're one of the a$$holes with a do nothing dog you're calling a Service Dog, aren't you?

• Eva

They can't make a real ESA leave. Rather than reporting it to the office, you should be reporting it to animal control or the police. Most towns/cities have leash laws requiring dogs to be on a leash or under control at all times and that goes for your dog as well.

• E. H. Amos

ESA are NOT service dogs, and do not have the legal protections of such animals , even if RX'd by a Dr.  They are only glorified pets.

They have none. its a PET by law therefore it will be treated as a pet. It can't be in stores, can't be in pet free rentals, can't be in HUD and the like since they don't allow pets, they can't be on air lines and the like. Its only a pet. 

There is no such thing as a legitimate ESA. Its only a pet. Why is the child outside unsupervised when you KNOW the neighbors dog is aggressive. how is the dog even getting to the child? Its your responsibility to keep the child away from the dog and to have a secure fence. If the dog is on the neighbors property then its your fault when the child is bitten And its your fault the child allowed the dog outside. You never trained the dog to stay inside and never supervised either the child or the dog. And its your fault the dog was attacked since again, you KNEW the neighbors dog was aggressive.Your dog was off leash and not under your control. "Next thing i know, we got a letter stating my esa needs to leave immediately.  "Then you need to move or get rid of the dog since it was purely your fault the attack happened. You know the neighbors dog is aggressive, you failed to train your dog, you failed to keep the dog on a leash, you failed to control your dog. Get rid of the dog or move out since its your fault 

• *****

Your dog doesn't have any special "rights" beyond being POSSIBLY allowed in "no pets" housing as a disability accommodation. That accommodation needs to be requested and specifically approved by the landlord, you could not just have brought your dog unannounced. 

Your dog still needs to behave appropriately and non-disruptively, and you still need to follow rules set out by the landlord.  Likely nothing for you to do now except move out. Your dog appears to have been off leash, which is almost certainly in violation of the rules, you were unable to control him, allowed him to approach another dog, and he was involved in an altercation. Was the other dog leashed? If so, that makes it even worse for you. ESAs don't get any sort of "pass" for that sort of behavior. 

• PANKO

You leave. Obviously, it was a mistake to move there. Don't compound it. Move. Incidentally, the manager is also responsible for the attacking dog. They knew before you even arrived & they won't do anything. That makes them responsible. I'd find out who owns the place & send tha certified letter informing them what the manager is doing. Go to the Building & Planning office in your county or city to find the owner. The owner is financially responsible.

Esa`s have no extraordinary rights of access They being simple pets only... (Unlike genuine service dogs )

• PR

Try going in person to discuss this with management. Explain what happened and see if they will reconsider. You haven't been there that long - the other person probably has, so they are listening to that person.

Also: 

-Look over your lease agreement. Are any dogs allowed unleashed? If so, this is dangerous. I would not live there.

-Go to the management office in person. Explain, respectfully, what happened and see if there is anything they can do, or if they can reconsider. They may be annoyed by the immediate complaints on this, and listening to the person who has been there longer. Try to be calm and explain calmly what happened. Let them know it will not happen, again, in regards to your own dog. Be very respectful.

-Take your own dog to obedience classes in order to learn control over the dog. It doesn't matter the "title" of a dog. A dog is a dog and needs control from the owner. Get that control if you want the dog in your life, or relinquish the dog.

-Put latches/simple hooks on the top of your door where toddlers or small children cannot reach. The dog needs to remain indoors at all times unless ON A LEASH. Yes, children do these things on occasion, but it is up to you to keep this from happening. 

-If all this fails, contact an attorney by phone and briefly discuss. Many will do this for free over the phone. They may have suggestions.

Perhaps, you could even be moved to a unit away from this other dog, AND you need to maintain more control over your own dog. Dogs can get out. When we first owned our dog, she escaped 9 times in two weeks. I am pretty sure she thought we "kidnapped" her from the shelter and thought she didn't belong to us. But, we learned how to deal with her, and she was a great part of the family. 

An ESA dog is still a lot of responsibility, and especially with children and uncooperative neighbors. Reduce the stress by learning how to control your own dog. Get involved in a church or in support groups for the other things in your life. This will help you grow and feel better in other ways.

Everything that is wrong with Britain today... here...........

• Jojo

Sorry.....there is nothing anyone on a dog forum can do to help you. WE only have YOUR side of the story and in cases like this, both sides need to put their grievances across and also you need to obtain PROOF of the other dogs aggressive behaviour.

Obviously your Landlord is at the moment, on the side of the other dogs owners if you have been asked to get rid of your dog. WE do not know what the other dogs owners are saying. Of course if the other  person has been tenant for a lot longer then you have, and trouble only arose when you moved in, then you do have a fight on your hands it seems. 

Sorry can`t help more....I suggest you consult a lawyer. Jmo.

• Star_of_Darkness

Why was your child messing with the dog and why was your child allowed outside unsupervised and allowed to mess with the dog? Your fault if she is bitten