Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Roach infestation ?

I just signed a lease yesterday and there is a roach infestation and there are mice. I didn’t see anything when I had first looked at the house at the showing and while moving all my stuff in I saw several roaches/mice. The landlord said she would have an exterminator come this coming week. Is my stuff ruined at this point? I’ve never dealt with these types of issues before and don’t really know what to do

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No your belongings are not ruined. Most things can be cleaned just fine.  Follow the exterminator's instructions & you should be fine. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Don't unpack. Wrap your stuff in large plastic bags and hope that the roaches don't get in. The mice probably won't, except the food. Leave the windows open for 3 days after the fumigation. That stuff is very poisonous and you should air out the place well for 3 days afterwards.

• 2 months ago

See if the exterminator handles the problem. Your stuff is fine.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The landlord is doing what legally they need to do...your 'stuff' is fine you just need to make sure you keep the place clean and free of food stuff, including washing up dirty dishes etc  that roaches/mice are looking for

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, your stuff is fine.  Mice are easy to get rid of, but roaches are more problematic.  With both cases you need to make every effort to clean everything and keep it that way taking special care to not make any food available to them … including pet food.  Not seeing any before and only a few since, is a good sign that you won't have a big problem in the future.  Good Luck.

• Jamey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Well, does your stuff look ruined?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.