what are some greek mythology ideals that influence us today?

• Elaine

Many of the myths show what happens when a person has hubris.  The western idea of karma or "what goes around,comes around" is a variation on the concept  of hubris. The story of Psyche can be both a myth and a lesson on human nature.  This myth gives us the psychological view that we have both an inner and outer self or the actual me and the ideal me. Another prevailing thought in western culture is the idea of reward or punishment in the afterlife.  Then there is the concept of hospitality: even today a guest in one's home is not supposed to be harmed.  

The running of the bulls!  And that big annual tomato fight, and maybe the English cheese race.

I've never actually taken part in that bizarre ritual with the bulls, but I was chased and almost eaten by cows once.  From the pictures you'd think cows are fat and dumb and kind of jolly, but don't let the propaganda fool you.  Those things can move, and they're mean as hell.  Once they lock on to a target, they accelerate like lightning and sound like thunder when they close in.  I can still see them, claws churning up the ground, venom dripping from their fangs, and that ice-cold look in their glowing eyes.  I know they've killed before.

It was just like that Greek bull-thing that ran around in the maze eating virgins, which probably looked like that big tomato fight.  The English cheese race (look it up) is the kind of panic cows can instill in their prey.

• Jolene

Influence us in what way? There are loads of examples of Greek mythology in advertising today (Nike, NBC, Dove, Ajax, Trojan, Midas, Pandora, Maserati, etc...). Or do you mean influence on a more social level?

• sarah1 month agoReport

social level