Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Is a low to no carb diet really only for people trying to lose weight?

I'm not trying to lose weight. Losing weight has never been a goal of mine. I have a pretty lean/athletic body type and I'm actually looking to gain a little weight. I do a moderately intense to intense workout every morning. I've done low carb before and I notice that my workouts are much harder when I do low carb. What can a low carb diet do for me if losing weight is not a goal of mine?

• Andy C

Here's a list of what removing added sugars from your diet would do for skinny old you:

Prevent diabetes II

Prevent most heart disease

Eliminate most acne

Eliminate skin sensitivity

Eliminate IBS

Prevent most hypothyroidism

Tremendously boost your immune system (3 sore throats/5years for me)

Prevent most neuropathy

Prevent weight gain from medication

This isn't conjecture or up for debate.

Source(s): "Fat Chance..." by Dr. Robert Lustig M.D

Not at all!  Lots of people choose a keto lifestyle who were never and are not now overweight.  Keto eating can help people lose weight because some many people are not insulin resistant due to a diet heavy in grains.  That noted, keto and paleo can be a healthy, life-long choice.

Consider reading Mark Sisson's book Keto for Life and Primal Blueprint.  He was an professional endurance athlete who adopted keto/paleo to deal with  be breakdown of his body after years of ironman competitions.  

Keto is not just bacon burgers (hold the bun.) It is lots and lots of a broad variety of vegetables, some (not massive amounts) of healthy fats from things like fish, avocado, and olives (rather than industrial seed oils), and adequate amounts of quality protein.  It even includes some starches and fruits.  

A low carb diet is for someone who wants to lose weight and does not care if that weight is muscle loss. its terrible for athletes. it would also prevent you from gaining muscle since insulin is a key hormone for muscle growth and without carbs you get no insulin.

• Andy C

Utter nonsemse!  You, sir, define CALORIC RESTRICTION. AKA dieting.   Removing bad carbs is SO much more than weight loss and leads to consuming REAL food AKA things that aren't killing you.