Is this a violation of HIPPA?

I recently started going to counseling again as it was much needed. I had a near suicide attempt and so my parents begged me to go and to sign a release. I did, and explicitly told her she could only tell them whether I was going or not (which is all they wanted to know). This woman then called my father and told him how much sex I was having at college. Sex is all I’ve ever known and is a self destructive behavior of mine after being molested at 5 and then raped at 15. He did not need to know this information and it obviously hurt him as a father (knowing that about his baby girl) and made me unable to trust anyone anymore. Is this a violation of HIPPA?

Asked and answered

nobody cares      

What you SAID is legally meaningless. What you SIGNED matters and any HIPAA release you signed covered EVERYTHING.

Yes it is, IF the release was very specific about what could be relayed. If it was general, then you orally asking not to tell much can't be proven, etc.

Without reading the form you signed there is no way to know.  The ONLY binding information is on that form.  Oral agreements not expressly listed on the HIPAA form are not binding.

It's HIPAA, not HIPPA.

You "explicitly told her she could only tell them whether I was going or not."   Did you "explicitly" write that on your Disclosure Authorization form?

• Murzy

She definitely broke your confidence.

• Lauren

It really depends on what was in the release I suppose. But definitely see a different therapist since trust with this one is broken.