Anonymous

Boss saved and distributed our messages?

For a while the boss has been having issues with me. I can understand the desire to get back, but didn't think he would stoop so low as to saving our messages and distributing them to someone 3 levels above him. I've always thought this would appear weak because managers are expected to deal with issues strategically. Instead, this person, whether purposefully or not, got into a he-said-she-said war with me over messenger and sent the messages to someone several levels up. Other than being unable to handle the situation, to the outside this may seem like a dirty move. I understand these messages belong to the company, but most people use them to have conversations and it is generally an unwritten law that you do no distribute them, otherwise no one would ever choose to develop a trusting interaction with their coworker.

What do you think?

Update:

It might be helpful to know that although I don't know exactly when this was escalated (i.e. between when we first started talking and when I found out about it), but someone reached out to me after I'd agree and began working on what I was requested to work on.  Meaning, it really does seem this person had an end goal regardless.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Like you stated.............the messenger messages belong to the company....just stop using this.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

There is no such unwritten law. A company email belongs them, period and the can do what they wish.

Why you insist on continuing the drama is a mystery. Ignore them.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You are responsible for what you do/say.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You deliberately stay very vague on what the issue was, but sounds like you got caught out, and your messages provided proof and it was no longer he said she said.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

NEVER assume ANYTHING done on a WORK computer is REMOTELY "private.."

• Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can have no expectation of privacy in the workplace. If you don't want someone else to hear or see it, don't say it and don't put it in print.

• 2 months ago

It is the prerogative of the boss to share info with HIS/HER boss if there's a problem that they can't handle or if it's something that requires a decision from someone higher up (usually a legal liability issue). Stop freaking out over it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

He's got a grudge, but not knowing what the messages are about, it's impossible to say whether he has good reason to do what he did. Some people thrive on being snitches.

• 2 months ago

It was a bit sleazy and I think whoever he sent them too will see that, but there isn't anything really wrong with it. If you don't like these messages going out to other people, then you shouldn't have sent them. Not sure there is anything you can or should do about it now, just realize he is not above doing this, going forward.

• 2 months ago

Write it regret it, say it forgot it.

There is no unwritten law not to "distribute" the message. In fact, IT is likely saving them.

Can't see a situation where it would be appropriate to get into a "he said she said" situation with a manager in writing or verbally.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.