Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

How to tell your family you want a minimalist baby rearing experience?

I am having my first child. We live in an average sized house but I don't like a lot of clutter and I don't have a lot of extra floorspace. We want to keep our baby materials to a minimum just what is absolutely necessary. We already have most of our big ticket items like our stroller crib and car seat. I'm of the belief that if people want to get me things like clothing and toys that it should be up to them and it shouldn't be something they pick off a list because I chose it. I gave everyone colors that I like as it's gender-neutral because we are waiting to find out until the birth and I hate the color yellow but other than that I don't really care. I managed to put some simple toys receiving blankets and nursing supplies on there but there's not a lot of things that I really find that specific that need to be on the registry and in all I could only think of 30 items that I felt like I needed to pick the brand and specification. But my mother and mother-in-law especially think that I need to have a huge registry full of tons of items so people know what to get me. I've always hated registry is to begin with so how do I work this out or does anybody have any tips on Minimalist baby rearing in general like things that are highly unnecessary.

Essentials I would say are: baby bath, grooming kit(nail clippers, scissors, hairbrush, comb) feeding equipment such as bottles, steriliser(if this is how you are feeding baby)

All I can think of right now. Give Google a little try as there is always things on there to help a first time mum prepare

So just tell them you've chosen not to make a registry.  If they can't respect that, it's time to push back and establish those boundaries.