Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

do parents remember what being a kid is like?

I'm 99% sure they hated being forced to do chores when they were kids. Parents are supposed to want their kids to have a better life than them. Why would parents give chores when their parents gave them chores, and they hated it

can you remember what being a baby is like.?

what you say...………….. 

i would hope so

• Janet

Oh yes we do. And we also see, from our vantage point of experience, how little we understood about life, about ourselves, about how to make life turn out okay.

A parent's job is to help you learn how to find your emotional footing with disappointment and unhappiness. And to encourage you to work on skills that will bring success later on. And to show you what the world will DEMAND you learn to follow.

Yes, we want to see our kids happy .. .but if you don't learn how to handle disappointment you will never be happy. And if you don't learn the skills you will need as an adult, you will be a failure. We are not your friends .. we are your parents, charged with protecting you and guiding you into learning what you need to master in order to be happy and successful as an adult.

Can't speak for "parents" as I'm only one parent. And I certainly remember my kid years up through HS. Those were great years for me.

I loved going places with mom and dad; and they took me along to just about everywhere. In fact, I never had a paid babysitter because they either took me along or dropped me off with my grandma.

Some highlights:

Going to the bowling alley with dad; so I could play with the other kids while dad bowled.

Staying overnight with grandma when she'd teach me tongue twisters, like "she sells sea shells by the sea shore..." Or even better when she harvested veggies from her garden and I got to take some around in my little red wagon and sell them to neighbors.

Going to Lake Erie with mom and dad; going fishing with dad and actually catching my first fish. (I found out later that dad had actually put the fish on my hook while I was taking a nap.)

Having Santa Claus come visit me at home Christmas Eve because I was sick with the flu. I noted that he was wearing a ring like my dad owned. I got my first chemistry set that year.

Some low points:

Smashing my forehead into a wall at the football stadium and having to go into the MD that evening to get my forehead stitched up.

Dad getting really pissed at me because I refused to go with him and mom to Indianapolis to see friends of theirs. They weren't my friends you see. Turned out their friends had a daughter about my age (early teen) and she made my hormones buzz. I'm glad I went.

Coming within inches of being run over by a car that came at me from the wrong side of the road. I remember distinctly looking up at the tire tread when the car got stopped.

Getting caught by dad as I was doing naughty things down by the creek with my neighbor's son. I got grounded for a week.

And here's one that's neither high nor low, it's just so. I got caught in the midst of a tornado while I was walking up town to attend the kiddie matinee at the local movie house. I was roughly ten yo then; back then in the small town where I was raised it was considered normal and safe for ten yo kids to be out alone on the street.

Good question; gave me a reason to reflect.

😄

Oh yeah. Hence the reason they become more strict or lenient with their kids.

My mother and father painted the town red, black, blue and brown when they were kids.

Hence the reason they became extremely strict.

Yes, and most of their parenting skills are based upon their own parents when they were kids themselves. Sort of freaky, huh?

You are correct they hated having to do chores and like you didn't understand why.  But something happens when you become an adult.  You start to understand the wisdom of your parents and why they made you do stuff like chores.  If you want to know your parents reasons, just ask them.

• Kathy

Yes they do remember what it was like to be a kid.

• .

To teach them how to become responsible people