Michael asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 1 month ago

how important is the foundation of a porch on a house?

im buying a house and in the inspection it was found that the foundation of the porch was tipping out. just the porch though, the foundation of the house is fine. what if i left it go unfixed for a while? would it be a big deal?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Before buying the house...........demand the owner fix the problem.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

its not important its just nice to sit outside

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Bring in a contractor and get their opinion.  It might be relatively simple such as using a foundation lift system or it could be a bigger problem.

• 1 month ago

There are many kinds of porches and different type foundations. No one can say for sure without at least some pictures for a closer look. The home inspection people should be able to provide you with more detailed Information. That's what you paid them for. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Try moving your question to Home & Garden, this is Beauty & Style.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The porch would eventually collapse and possibly kill or injure anyone on it. It's dangerous.

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I bought a beautiful craftsman house in southern Michigan that had a small front porch, one that had about six steps going up to it to a porch that was about 8' x 8'. The foundation under the pillars on either side that supported the roof that jutted out to cover it had begun tipping such that the pillars themselves had started leaning outward, which was unsightly on what was otherwise an extremely pristine house. Repairing it was a big deal. I got three estimates, one for $14,000 one for 15,000, and one for $18,000. I went with the $15,000 estimate because I knew several people who swore by him and he was clearly very knowledgeable and experienced.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.