how can i face my eye test tomorrow?

i'm really scared, i'm 42 years old and male, i acquired type 2 diabetes years ago after living an unhealthy lifestyle, but since the diagnosis ive done really well managing the condition, i watched my diet , went to the gym to swim when i could, and lost nearly 3 stone, and got my blood sugar right down...the nurse was pleased with me in my last annual review check.

but i have my eye exam coming up tomorrow, to check my eyes, and i'm really nervous and scared, because i already have an anxiety disorder...but i'm also scared that ;what if they find something wrong with my eyes or vision?

i'm trying to be man enough to face this appointment, be strong as iron, but inside i'm turning to jelly...as i'm also scared of anything clinical.

any help? or words of hope and encouragement?

You're a grown man... and you have anxiety from making catastrophe predictions.

The eye examination is a preventative measure, not a death sentence. If your vision ok so far? Yes? Do you have eye issues right now? No?

EVERYONE is usually a bit nervous before a doctor appointment of any type. It's normal for us to be a little tense, but most people don't go over the top. There's no reason to. You're going to someone who is very well educated about eye health and eye function. If there's a problem starting, i'm sure she will be right on it and give you the assistance you need.

Best wishes.

and PS... there is anxiety self-help information all over the internet. Web pages, on YouTube and more. There are also guided meditations on YouTube for healing the body and mind and also for anxiety relief. You can look those up, and use them at night when you go to bed. They are relaxing and helpful. If you fall to sleep during the meditation, your subconscious mind picks up the messages. I use my ear buds and phone for this.

You're going to do great!

Here is what will probably happen at your exam tomorrow: They will do some tests of your vision. They will have you read an eye chart and probably have you make some choices about what lenses you can see best out of. At forty two, there is a good chance that you have presbyopia. This would be true even if you were not diabetic. As a result, you may have a conversation about reading glasses or bifocals. The will look at your outside eye with a microscope. They will check the pressure in your eyes. All of the ways of doing this seem a little scary but none of them hurt. They will dilate your eyes. This will allow them to take a good look at your retina. Your retina is the most likely location for diabetic related eye problems. After they look at it, they will very likely say that everything looks fine. They will praise you for the steps that you have made to a healthier life. They will encourage you to keep it up. they will remind you that routine eye exams are important for people with diabetes and they will schedule an appointment for next year.

• C

May I just say that losing three stone is bloody amazing, especially for someone who can't always pep talk yourself into doing what you want as fast as you'd like!  I hope that doesn't come across as patronising, it's certainly not meant that way.  So many people just accept warnings as a sentence handed down from on high instead of an invitation to change path. I know someone who first lost her toes and then legs due to adopting the "Oh well, that's me," attitude of inevitability despite having had many years of chances to help herself.  It was hard to be sympathetic after the legs went. 

It's natural to be a bit nervous.  Nobody likes the possibility of getting bad news, but I think that the worst you might come out of this with is the horrible realisation that you're getting a bit farsighted with age. I stress might and not will.

• Tavy

Type 2 is nothing. My friend is 70 has had type 1 for 20 years and does not need reading glasses.

Worry not.

There is nothing to be scared about.  The test itself is minimally invasive and doesn't hurt.

If there is an issue the earlier it is detected the sooner you can begin treatment and keep it from worsening.

Early treatment of any condition actually improves the chances of it not becoming an big deal.

You've taken control of your blood sugar levels do the same with your vision.  

If you have tight control, which means paying attention to your diet, you should be fine.

Your doing everything right that’s all you can do just try to calm down everything will be fine you know your a worry wart but it’s fine and if they fine something that doesn’t mean it can’t easily be fixed, as long as your eyes don’t hurt and your not completely blind your gonna be ok, good luck.