Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 3 months ago

When a cat (or a dog) has very soft hair, is the pH of its hair higher or lower than those who have rougher hair?

• david

Some human shampoos use to advertise that they were "pH balanced"  ...  which I would assume means that the shampoo has a pH very close to neutral, 7.0.

Human hair ...  dog hair ...  any animal hair is all made from protein.  Strong base or strong acid will break down the structure and destroy the hair,  whn it dries it will feel rough and brittle...  I don't think animal hair would be very different. 

...  The term pH applies to solutions .. not solids, so hair by itself has no pH.

Hair is a solid substance. A solid substance cannot have a pH . It is futile to try and equate fictitious "hair pH" with softness.

I see no reason to suppose hair has a pH.  And if it did, I see no reason to suppose it has anything to do with soft or rough, which is determined by the animal's DNA.

Yes, it is usually