Will washing a hoodie in cold water with bleach. Then followed up by hot water put in a dryer kill all vermin?

I am currently homeless, I am trying to stay warm at night.  I've found a hoodie or a jacket outside by a trash can.  I am going to put it in the washing machine and wash it in cold water first with some bleach.  The reasoning in cold water first is any stains that might be potentially there. I want them removed first before I use hot water.  I'm going to use hot water then.  I am going to put it in the dryer for approximately 45 minutes.  I just want to know will kill scabies, bed bugs and lice.

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

hot water removes more stains than cold, pretreat stains, then wash in hot watr

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Use hot water and laundry detergent.  Give it a good wash and dry.  Done.  Bleach is unnecessary. Vermin tend to drown.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First give it a good dose of insecticide from a spray can and put it in a plastic bag for a couple of hours. If there are any bugs, you should be able to find them in the plastic bag. That will tell you how bad it is. Then the wash as you have proposed should kill any germs.

• 2 months ago

Yes, it should but you need a good detergent as well or many of the stains will not be removed and will become permanently set once it goes through the dryer.

• ...Show all comments
    • David B.
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

George, OK just thought it was worth mentioning. I hope you are able to get out of your current situation soon. Good luck to you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.