What is the name of the powder that is used to sweeten pastries, like the ones in the picture?

Is this the same as sugar?

Update:

And I have to say that if you bake, I'm sure I WOULDN'T ENJOY YOUR BAKING.

I'm asking this, because I don't like berliners sprinkled with sugar (like they are served in my country), but I like these ones which are in accordance with their original recipe.

And aside from the filling, this powder doesn't taste the same to me as sugar...

Attachment image

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Correctly answered it's powdered sugar, but what has not been told, is that if you must have some, you can use your blender, with regular refined sugar and voila!!

You may add it with a small strainer to almost anything baked and sweet for extra calories

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Powdered sugar, also called confectioners sugar or icing sugar

• 2 months ago

Probably powdered sugar.

• 2 months ago

powdered sugar, 10 times  addictive. one teaspoon of this is like 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Powdered sugar

10X sugar

Icing sugar

It is sugar that has been processed until it is a powder and in most cases a bit of cornstarch is added to prevent caking in shipping and storage. 

It does have a different taste and texture as the sugar melts more easily than crystals in regular granulated sugar. 

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

Couldn't have described it better myself.

• Mintee
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

powdered sugar, or confectioners sugar... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdered_sugar

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Confectioners' sugar or icing sugar (it's different than the granulated form of sugar):

"Powdered sugar, also called confectioners' sugar or icing sugar, is a finely ground sugar produced by milling granulated sugar into a powdered state. It usually contains a small amount of anti-caking agent to prevent clumping and improve flow." Wikipedia

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Icing sugar in the U.K. which is finely ground sugar.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's icing sugar. In the USA I believe it's called powdered sugar.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I can't see the photo well enough to tell if it's superfine sugar or confectioner's (powdered) sugar.

Yes, it's all regular sugar but made into finer (smaller) grains/particles.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.