Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Who is at fault and responsible for cost of new engine?

My dad often borrows my Ram truck with 59k miles and one day he calls me to say the water pump broke. So I told him to stop driving and tow it to the mechanic. He refused to listen and kept driving another 100 Miles on the freeway claiming his mechanic gave him the OK to do it which I believe was a lie.

He got the water pump fixed soon thereafter but the engine blew the new day which I believe was due to his actions. But he disagrees and says it's not his fault and that it's because I bought a lemon truck.

So who is at fault and should pay for a new engine?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

YOur DAD is an IDIOT! Nearly ALL cars now use aluminum ALLOY HEADS and many alloy blocks as well! ONE SIMPLE OVER HEAT may warp the CYLINDER HEAD! HE should have used several bottles of WATER and topped up every few miles to prevent what just happend to you! You MAY get away with having the HEADS milled and rebuilt, but it is TOTALLY ON HIM HERE! NO IDIOT would drive a car with low coolant if he KNEW it was too LOW! JESUS

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

your dad is at fault. 

• 1 month ago

Obviously, your dad is at fault.  You can't drive without water cooling the engine without doing major damage to the engine, period.

• 1 month ago

You've been driving the truck too, so some of the 59K miles of wear, tear and lack of maintenance is on you. Maybe your dad can help you put in a used engine- share the cost. Nobody owes you a NEW one. If you want to junk it, your next vehicle, unless you NEED a truck, should be what suits you......how about a Honda Fit, or Rav4.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

For qld there to many moto riders in qld .i am moving back to the uninjured state the sane stats the smart state  the great state the state of the habour bridge theb blues state 

• M.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

What is this a song?

• 1 month ago

Even diesel engines have to have coolant flowing through the cylinder head and block or it can crack or warp the cylinder head or block. OTR trucks have ten gallons of coolant in their engines and radiator.

• 1 month ago

BS. The vehicle wouldn't survive 100 miles with a broken water pump. This ENTIRE STORY is a lie.

• Anon
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Water pumps can "break" by leaking but still turning. Dads fault for Not watching head temp. puling over, let cool, more water. Most leaky cooling systems can limp 1,000 miles with this common sense. 

• 1 month ago

The only people who are going to win over this are your's and your dad's lawyers.

Have fun in court

• arther
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

He cooked it and killed your engine fact. Your father is a moron like A Hunch.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A Hunch.... is a moron. It's 300 meters NOT miles! 300 meters = .18 mile which is barely a block.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.