Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Today I learned that I am adopted. I feel fine with it. Is this OK and normal?

Really fine. You know first hand that you were REALLY WANTED! You were wanted so much that they searched for you, chose you and made you legally their child. That's pretty great stuff!

• g2 months agoReport

My grandparents had guardianship of me until I was 18/19 and In 12th grade at the time. They did give me the choice to stay with them or go live with Biological parents(once we were able to find them). I chose to stay with Grandparents 
      (in their golden years) to help care for them and drive around.

i think its okay to feel that way

If you've lived with a family your whole life and they became your family what difference does it make if you are adopted or naturally born? They took care of you as their own child and you accepted them as your own parent. So why should you even be slightly interested in the person that signed the papers to adopt you out.

Yeah that’s normal, it’s not who gave birth to you that makes them your parents it’s whoever raised you, besides you prob realize you are one of the lucky ones who didn’t grow up in foster care

It's normal, yes. It may have been s surprise and a bit of a shock, but apparently you have a good family and parents who raised you.

Sure this is ok.  Is it normal?  That depends on what is defined or who defines what is normal.  Everyone is different and everyone takes things like this in different ways.  Just like Death and Birth.  Why do people cry when babies are born?  What do people Laugh sometimes when someone they are close to dies?  

Everyone has a built up defense mechanism in their brain.  Humor can deter sadness and anger can't deter some as well.  

So how you respond to your situation is normal for you.  Today you might feel fine and that's perfect.  Tomorrow can be different, you may feel pain or sadness or anger.  And that too, is ok.

You do you...so long as you don't hurt yourself or anyone else.  You are fine!

• Helen

Absolutely. Feelings are never right or wrong, they just "are". It's great you've found it easy to come to terms with, but if time passes and you do start to have questions or feel negative emotions, talk it out with your family.

• Silver

Depends. How old are you? If I was 50, I would feel pretty pissed at my parents.

• KaleyK

If people have loved you, cared for you, kept you safe, warm, fed, and educated ... that's more important than a biological link.  Sounds like you're already good with your situation.  Don't worry about "normal", just keep your wits about you.