Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

You are not invited to a reunion of former workplace colleagues? Should you feel hurt?

You are facebook friends with a few if them (but never see them in real life)

Workplace was ended 3.5 years ago & all went on to different workplaces.

You see the reuinion mentioned but you are never asked or tagged in it...

Everyone moved on and few catch up now.

Old workplace had maybe 20 people in it..

And no, you cannot “invite” yourself! Rude!

You were not social friends with them

• susan

If you had asked, "Could you feel hurt?" then I would have said yes, I easily could feel hurt when I first found out.

But you asked, "Should you feel hurt?" The answer to that is no. There is no "should" where feelings are concerned. "Should" only applies to behaviors.

• Raven

I wouldn't feel hurt as I like to keep to myself at work anyways, but if this was done out of rudeness I wouldn't give them the time of day anymore - especially if they are the catty type.

I sometimes hang out with coworkers especially if they seem to genuinely be good people. I have more fun around these people instead of forcing friendships. If I was not invited to the reunion in this situation then I would figure they were kind enough to understand the fact that I do not want to be social all the time.

The way I act in this situation would depend on the type of people involved.

No, I "should not" feel hurt because I would never want to attend such a thing to begin with. 

You have failed to mention the one essential point: are the rest of them more than just Facebook friends? are they 'social friends' with each other?

If they are, and you are not, why would you expect to be invited?

You shouldn't feel hurt to NOT be invited to a social function of people you don't know well or socialize with regularly.  Save that pain for when your close friends purposefully exclude you.

• drip

There is no should or should not.  Only your are or are not hurt.

You say you are not social friends  them, so why would you think you would be invited? 

Of this was a part about the reunion, sounds like it is an open invitation to all who worked there.  Not that each person is receiving a formal invite

You indicated only a few people catch up now and you were not social friends with your colleagues, so perhaps they assumed you were not interested in seeing them again.  If everyone was invited and you were excluded, your feelings of being hurt is understandable.  If others were also excluded, chances are this gathering was for very specific people.  Ultimately, if you want to see your former co-workers, reach out to them.

It may have just been an accident. You could right "hey I would love to get together sometime with you all".

i would be hurt but theres not much you can do about it

Would not bother me in the least. If I wasn't close then there would be no reason to need to go to a reunion.