Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

do parents love their kids less as they get older?

when we were kids, parents love us unconditionally. As teens, we had to start doing chores if we wanted an allowance. As kids, it was given to us automatically. II seems parents love us more as kids and less as we get older. Also, parents tell us they love us every day when we are kids, as teens it was rare, my brother who is an adult, never gets told he is loved by our parents.

where do parents love go when we age?

• Edna

I have found that most parents love their kids MORE as the kids gets older, than they loved them when the kids were young. 

• Nicey8

The love changes its form. Some parents maybe so irritated by their little toddlers and their naughty pranks that when they grow up, the parents still love them but treat them more as grown ups.

Your parents still love you. Not every parent says it verbally, but in their actions, you see they still love you.

God bless you and God loves you too.

• Lili

Of course not.  Parents love children all their lives.

It is the job of parents to help prepare their kids for the real world as they grow older.  Giving them chores and being strict about schoolwork and so forth is part and parcel of doing that.

And some people become less comfortable with expressing emotions when all the parties are adults or close to it.  It's easier with small children, who may also need to be reassured more.

The nature of the relationship changes, as it must, when kids mature into independent adults with lives and families of their own.

You know teens are kids right?

Love isn't dependent upon an allowance. We give them an allowance in exchange for the services they provide i.e. their chores. That's teaching them how to manage money...BECAUSE you love them. I do not want my kids to become fiscally irresponsible adults. 

I certainly don't love my kids any less than I did when they were small. They're 15, 14 and 12 now. I kiss my kids at least twice a day (before they leave for school in the morning & when I see them after work) and tell them "I love you" quite often. Discipline without affection can break a child's spirit. 

• edward

It’s there. As teens we are expected to know that they love us and take on more responsibility. Kids who never had to do chores at home are the ones living alone not knowing what a clean dish looks like and breaking a washing machine every time they use too much detergent while their hole just piles up with garbage.

• Jill

Yes. I still love my 16 year old just as much as I did when he was little and I tell him every day.