vic asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

Why are people adding a spoon of butter to their coffee, does it really taste better?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 4
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Never heard anyone doing it but sounds good & yummy 😋 

I'll try it! 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

I never heard of that. But I tried whipping  cream; that's good. Just don't stir to much, it'll turn to thick

• no it tastes butter

• 2 months ago

It's an old way of adding "cream" to the coffee--making it milder to taste and less bitter/acid tasting. Butter kept longer than cream or milk in people's homes. It wasn't usually refrigerated, and it was salted to preserve it.  When people didn't have milk or cream, they figured butter was just as good because all butter is is cream that has been churned or shaken until it becomes solid. A pat of butter in one's coffee was a way to access the taste of cream without having to go out and milk the cow! You still find this in the Southern or Appalachian regions of the USA. My grandfather always added a pat of butter to his coffee in the morning. 

Note also that since butter is salted, it toned down the acidy taste of coffee as well--adding a pinch of salt to your coffee grounds when you brew it will do the same thing. 

Source(s): experience
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I’ve never heard of anyone doing that. Then again, I don’t drink coffee personally because I can’t stand the smell of it. Same with alcohol.

• denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I've seen an Italian chef do that on a 'cooking' show, where he visited a hillside town in Umbria, Italy.

I cant say that I'd fancy it though!

• 2 months ago

I've never tried this but-- it probably does. It probably taste like whipped cream. It's double the fat.

• Jen
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

That sounds really gross. Coffee is one of the few things that are calorie free, why add BUTTER to it?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

“People” aren't doing that.

• Steve M
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Some people are. Buttered coffee is a an actual thing. You can find discussions and recipes online with a simple search.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

homer simpson is the only one to do that.

if you copy him you will end up looking like him too.

• Bob
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

What 'people' are these? They sound more like demons than people. Anyone who puts butter in coffee needs to undergo an exorcism.

• Steve M
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

There are claimed health benefits to it when done properly.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.