Can I refuse TSA? ?

Let me be clear:

I landed in Miami after a trip to Brasil. I went through Customs and whole process. And I received my baggage back, and was on my way out the door. I was running because I wanted to catch the soonest train. When I was on my way out, I was singled out by TSA. Asking to check my bag, I was pissed. He went and checked my bags and of course he found nothing. But I missed the train by 3 minutes, and had to wait 40 minutes for next train. Now 40 minutes not so bad,  but the next train isnt always 40 minutes next. I have missed trains before and had to wait almost 3 hours. Of course I told the man, I was waiting for the train, is this necessary? He wasn't sympathetic and said train is here all day. He was a jerk. My thing is, can I refuse this search? I have nothing to hide but its damn infuriating. What would happen if I just say no you cant check my bag

Yes, you can. But you shouldn't. Unless you want to be arrested. 

Okay.. lets have an ounce of truth here. If you had a connecting flight, you would of gone through TSA screening. However since you did NOT have a connecting flight, you met up with CBP officer who screened your bags to make sure you are not importing in any prohibited contraband. Refusing CBP screening is likely to land you in jail.

I'm sorry you missed your train, but Customs has an important job to do

Also please cut the anti-TSA junk. It is tired and old. 

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.
  • W

It's a legitimate question. If the OP had already claimed their baggage and cleared customs, TSA would have no right to check a bag. If he/she was already in the main terminal area, even less so. TSA has a history of having stuffed-shirt employees all too willing to exceed their already excessive power. Most people confuse TSA with CBP. CBP are law officers. TSA are gropers.

On the other hand, ICE and CBP have the right to set up roadblocks, check IDs and search suspicious vehicles (even of American citizens) up to 100 miles of any border or coast. Rather shocking when you are confronted with it.

• Redstone

"TSA are gropers."…. Holy cow. Please grow up. 

Sure. I mean you'll be detained and possibly charged criminally but you could do that.

You always have the right to refuse TSA searches and security. However, by refusing them you won't be allowed to travel further. I completely understand how annoying it is. When I was seven I was randomly selected for drug testing at the airport which was ridiculous and wasteful of time and resources. As irritating as it is, you have to accept it if you want to continue travelling.

• Mrsjvb

No you may not refuse anything that TSA pulls you aside for.  Not unless you want to be held up a helluva lot longer than the few minutes it took to go through your bag.

No, you cannot refuse the TSA search. 

You were likely singled out because you were running.  You can not opt out.

To start with you should be grateful that TSA were looking after security, including yours. If you had refused the search I imagine your delay would have run into hours rather than a few minutes. Or worse.

• pmt853

This sort of check is not something you can opt out of. A refusal to co-operate seems likely to involve a chat with several armed police officers and a visit to a secure room wher you might be thoroughly interrogated and searched. Let them do their job and be on your way.