Nina asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

to the equine community. would you pay 150 euro a week for livery considering that the stables is new and the facilities r state of the art?

Horse ownership is inappropriate for people who cannot either do all the necessary care and feeding or who don't have the money to have it done for them. Brand new facilities, probably in Ireland where everyone fancies having a horse and wants it living in luxury, yes, that is a good price.

The occasional unworthy will say to the stable manager, "You have some nerve, charging that much!" Unworthy will be welcome to go elsewhere. Someone else will come in and pay the 150.

If I had the money and liked the facilities, then yes. But I'm weird about ridding around other people in the barn vibe environment, and I like having my horses where I live.

If you want a barn for a horse that you show, then the facilities would definitely be worth the cost (especially in winter or summer). 420 euro a month isn't too bad. I know barns that are 275 a month and have all the facilities but have limited stalls and no heating/cooling, And I’ve used a barn that was 100 a month with the bare minimum before. A barn I've looked at for winter before had everything and was fully equip, and it was 920 a month. 

So, depending on how often you ride, and what you do with your horse, 150 a week isn't bad! 

State of the art or not, look around and see how the other people react to each other, meaning, is it as happy yard? Are the horses looking happy too? That said, for that amount of money I would expect :- good size box for your horse, rug washing and drying facilities, horse wash room/box, overhead dryers for horses, all hay and straw (not shaving unless you buy them yourself), lots of cold water taps for fresh water, a toilet and some sort of kitchen with fridge and microwave oven. Is there and indoor school and outdoor school with available jumps? I would also require a private, lockable tack and feed room. This, of course is for a "d.i.y." person or WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING A HORSE? Also - can you get to the stables which is not too far from home, (can you walk if you have no transport? Lastly, will you be able to get there WHATEVER the weather, rain, hail, fog, snow, ice and wind???? I hope you really think this through ... ... ...

• Snezzy

That's a very fair price.

Sounds fine.  That's about $160/week, or $640/month.

Full care, nice facility, that's far from overpriced.

• *****

I think that rather depends on where it's located and what amenities, supplies, and services are included for that amount. Boarding fees can vary hugely- not just by quality of facilities, but also by what's included in the fee and by where it's located. I'll pay more for a facility five minutes from my house than one I have to drive half an hour to get to. Full care costs considerably more than self care. Boarding near major cities costs more than boarding in rural areas.  

That's about what I would pay for a facility near my city with an indoor arena, stalled with daily turnout, full care and hay included.