Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

What is the safest hair dye that covers gray?

Can you recommend a brand?

• Janet

Hair dye is not really safe.

I would recommend a colored henna. It makes your hair thicker, shinier, and it gradually washes out over 6 weeks.

But understand that the darker our hair is, the MORE our wrinkles show. Grey hair makes our face look younger.

Only your hair dresser knows for sure!

• Judith

You might want to ask your hairdresser.  I don't remember what I used to use but it caused me to have open sores on my scalp.  Tried a few different brands with the same result.  Obviously I was allergic to the dyes.  Didn't have that problem when I had it dyed professionally.

I have read in several different publications that dark hair dyes aren't safe but I doubt very much that any hairdresser would tell you that.

I've been coloring my hair for years and I use Colorsilk by Revlon and I find that is very safe and very affordable  and I buy them at Walmart for less then 5 bucks a box.

The only thing I get mad about is that I LOVED their conditioner that comes in the box and I can't find that in a bottle! ugh!

• PAMELA

Most brands are safe, they have to pass a lot of tests before they are allowed on to the market, the one suggestion that i will make is try to pick one with no ammonia, that can sometimes sting your scalp, and always do the allergy test 24 hours before you actually use it, it will tell you what to do in the instructions, get a permanent colour if you want to cover grey.

• Snid

Ask a hair dresser.  They will know for sure.

• Jojo

In this day and age most modern brands of permanent hair colouring  dyed are safe and will cover all grey hairs.

I often use `Nice and Easy` by Clairol, but recently used Nutrisse , by Garnier.

There is not a lot of difference between brands I have found. Obviously the final results depend on what natural colour your hair is and how absorbent it is. Jmo.