Car uses tons of oil?

I have a 98 mustang cobra and it uses a TON of oil like a quart a week but I never smell burning oil and it doesn’t smoke out of the tailpipe. Sometimes at a stop it idles higher normally idles 800-900 rpm and sometimes idles 1800-1900 rpm. Lastly it feels slower than it used to be. Any thoughts?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It must be leaking oil.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

YES dirty THROTTLE BODY and IDLE ARI CONTROLO VALVE and you are probably using VALVOLINE or other WAX based junk oil! Use PENNZOIL PLATINUM and repalce [plugs with DENSO TWIN TIP IRIDIUM LASER LUGS! VALVOLINE is NOT used by ANY FACTORY on Earth! FORD uses CONOCO PHILLIPS and HTAT is not good enough either! PENNZOIL is the official oil of FERRARI! Use AMSOI POWER FAOM to clean the T body and the IAC valves and run it through the PCV! It wil cleant eh PISTON TOPS and RINGS and restore engien to showroom quality! The use of PENNZOIL will continue the cleaning up! GOOD LUCK!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

the oil is burning out or getting into the antifreeze, see if muffler, in back is coming out alot of smoke, check your antifreeze to, if its black

• 1 month ago

Look for leaks and have a mechanic check the engine for wear. 1998 is pretty old for a Ford.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You have an oil leek some place, time to visit the local Ford Mechanic!

• 1 month ago

If it isn't leaking, it is burning.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You've got "blow by". Use a heavier oil. Keep your pennies, nickles & dimes. Your gonna' need them.

• 1 month ago

i would ask a mechanic about it

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Check for leaks.  Get a compression and leakdown test done on the engine.  Piston rings are likely shot.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No CEL?

Have you done regular maintenance?

Oil and filter change every 3-5000 miles?

First thought, PCV valve. If I knew what friggin engine was in it I might have a better idea.

Oil is seeping past the intake gaskets because of pressure. It's just Enough to not smoke. Oh, the gaskets 'o rings' are probly junk now.

The PCV is probably under the intake in the valley. But, idk BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T STATE ENGINE.

Check all the vacuum hoses. I bet a few are cracked. Change the engine vent hose boots that run to the valve covers. The oem is way past rotten. The new ones have ribs that keep them from collapsing.

• ...Show all comments
    • M.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

PCV valve.  Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

PVC is generally polyvinylchloride, a plastic.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.