Have you ever seen a plane crash in real life?

I'm not talking about a remote control plane

Toy planes and paper planes do not count. 

PSA 182 went down a block from my house in San Diego, Sept 25, 1978.  It was a full 727.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182

There were houses and cars destroyed, people on ground killed besides all in the plane.

Police and then security team camped on my front porch for two weeks while they investigated and cleaned it all up--worked every day, some nights.

Years before I was at an air show at Brown Field, east of San Diego.  Bob Hoover was there.  He was the chase plane pilot for Chuck Yeager on the Bell X-1 supersonic flight.  Bob was doing aerobatics with a NA Shrike, a two engine business turboprop.  He had to leave early for another appointment, so they fueled him up and he took off.  Suddenly he went down into a field, both engines dead.  He landed with no damage.  Found out they had filled the turboprop up with gasoline.  Would only run on jet fuel.

Source(s): I lived there for years.
    • M.

Sad...

9/11, plane festival crash, been on the Hudson River Plane, U.S. Airways. I don't care what the people say, thank God for pilot Sully. May God bless his soul.

• TedEx

Nothing of any consequence, A business jet's lading gear collapsed upon landing   No one hurt

yeah, 9/11   .

Two at LGB in California, a Fouga  Magister had engine failure and went knife edge into a closed drive in theater, killing two, and a Cessna 210 with engine failure tried to turn back and went into the roof of a warehouse like a pool ball falling into a pocket, that was the day when the C-17 was supposed to make it's maiden flight, so hundreds watched that one.

Yes. last summer at our airfield. Mooney M20, he admitted he'd miscalculated the take off distance required on wet grass, hauled it off the ground, stalled and went in. No fire, no casualties, we got 'em all out before the fireman could start the ancient crash truck. (We've got a new one now).

I watched a CESSNA on floats flip over on it's back upon landing.

This was at Lake St. John in Ontario, Canada.

The aircraft had floats with retractable landing gear inside. The pilot had taken of from a land base and forgot to retract the gear. When he landed on the water the gear down caused to plane to flip.

---------------------------------------

In another instance a home built was attempting a landing in a heavy cross wind and a wing dug into the grass spinning the aircraft around backwards.

---------------------------------------

I was at and airshow when a fighter pilot radioed that his right landing gear would not come down. I watched him land on his nose wheel, left main gear and right wing tank. About 1/2 way through his landing roll he blew the canopy and was climbing out of the cockpit before the aircraft stopped. The F-18 stopped in a straight line and didn't spin out.

--------------------------------------

FINALLY - I was in a CESSNA 152 that flew into/through a snowbank one evening. We bent a main wheel which deflated the tire but my pilot managed to land without further damage

• .

No, I have never seen a plane crash in real life.

• JetDoc

Yes. I served in the US Air Force during the Vietnam war. I have seen several plane crashes.

• Jason1 month agoReport

Thank you for your service sir

one that happened years ago in sandy eggo found a bag of footage from a news crew photographer got season tickets to the chargers