How likely am I to get amoebic meningitis?

I routinely irrigate my nostrils with shower water every time I shower. I've done this for years because of OCD (germaphobia).

I just read that this can cause a fatal infection so I must stop. But I don't think I can stop immediately because of my mental health issue.

I want to know how likely it is that I'll get this if I keep doing it. I live in England, I don't know if that makes a difference.

• Edna

Your  public water supply is regularly treated with certain chemicals and additives to prevent infections .Those chemicals and additives are monitored and adjusted if needed. You're not going to get amoebic meningitis from irrigating your nostrils with water that is coming out of the shower in your home. 

Zero risk from municipal water and you know that is incredibly rare.

• k w

home depot sells shower filters to clean the chlorine and what ever else, out of the water, believe it or not ! try it, it may help...I got one...works for the itchy skin I used to get....

i would stop worrying about it, you might never get it

Basically not likely at all.

You're more likely to...

-get killed by a cow

-run over by a car

-get struck by lightening

-die of the flu

-become a famous pop star

You are more likely to get this amoeba than being hit by an actual meteor, but you can count the people who got struck by meteors on one hand.

You'll be perfectly fine.

use a neti pot with distilled water and salt....safe, and effective!