How long after someone is sick are they contagious for?

My gf was super sick about a week ago but still has a nasty cough. Just curious if I should still keep my distance or is it okay to get near her? Has literally been about 2 weeks since she was sick and the cough has been lingering for about 1 week now

it honestly depends on the illness.

Cold- becomes contagious as soon as symptoms appear and continue to be for 5-7 days

flu- contagious a day before symptoms and continue for 5-7 days

bronchitis- not contagious unless acute which is contagious through the air for a week

If I didn't get her illness (if she knows or you do) please tell me and ill look into it for you.

• Linda

Your girlfriend is probably not contagious, Nonya, if she has been coughing for two weeks and the cough is still lingering on, and you have not gotten sick. To be on the safe side though, take extra vitamin C and echinacea to boost your immune system and drink a lot of water and get more rest. But your gf should probably see a doctor to see if she can get some relief because she is probably tired from coughing so much and that can be the worse part. I think you are out of the woods and you should be just fine.

• Nancy

The word "quarantine" is based on the Italian word "quarantantina," meaning "40 days."  Of course, that comes from plague times.  We've scaled that number back.  With the recent outbreak of coronavirus, the quarantine time is but a fortnight, i.e., two weeks.

• Mark

Well disease, run their course, but if she has had a flu or a cold, you can "get near her", by now.  (Cold are only contagious for about three days after their onset, and flus a bit longer.) If he has an "exotic" disease" you might want to contact your doctor.

To estimate a set duration would be asinine