Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

will my doctor find thc in my system after a blood test?

my therapist suggested that I get my blood tested to check my iron/vitamin d levels because it could possibly help with my seasonal depression. the thing is, I also smoke weed daily to help with chronic pain (I’m still a minor and it’s not legal in my state, so obviously it’s gonna be a **** show if I get caught.) Do you think my doctor could detect the thc in my system? If so, how long should I withhold from smoking?

(I’d rather people who legitimately know what they’re talking about answer this, aka people who either smoke themselves or just know a lot about the subject at hand)

THC stays in your system for a long time.  Most people say a month.  Alcohol, cocaine, opiates, etc. are all out of your system the next day but THC sticks with you for a long time.

But a doctor won't find THC in your blood.  THC is fat-soluble, not water soluble like those other drugs.  So it sticks in your fat cells and it goes away only as those cells die and are replaced.  When that happens, the cell is broken down and the THC is metabolized into a different chemical, called a metabolite.  These metabolites appear in your urine and that's what the test is, a urine test, looking for the metabolites, not a blood test.

Also doctors can't find anything they're not specifically looking for.  In this case they'd be looking for vitamin deficiencies. 

Years and years ago I had a long, terrible fight with depression.  Believe it or not, it went away (well, mostly) when I started taking B complex vitamins.  So your therapist's idea is a good one.

• Zirp

yes, some ingredients of cannabis can be detected, but only if you look for them

FYI: they don't usually test for THC (it goes away in a day or 2).

Instead, they test for THC metabolites which can stay around for up to 90 days!

The equivalent would be testing to see if you drank a month ago, not if you are drunk at this moment!

• R K

they have to be looking for that specifically. it won't show up in a routine blood test.

Doctors don't test you for drugs unless you're manifesting some kind of behavior that is detrimental to your health ordinary drug tests don't check for drugs

• Retief

If you spoke daily, yes it will show up in your blood test.

You smoke weed daily... And you ask if a doctor will find THC in your blood. The doctor may not but the tests could if they are looking for it. Since you are a minor, he should be contacting Child Protection Services to arrest your parents for not doing their job.

It is unlikely as the blood tests that are generally ordered by doctors test for very specific things. Cholesterol, Liver and Kidney functions, things like that not the presence of drug use unless it has specifically been requested by someone.

• Adam D

They can only find what they are specifically testing for.  If nobody (meaning your parents) has given them directions to check for THC, then there's no way to find it.  It isn't like they put the blood in a machine and it gives a readout of everything it contains.

For future reference, if you are using daily and find yourself needing to pass a drug test, which would probably be a urine test rather a blood test, you're probably going to fail for the first 30 or 40 days after stopping use.