Kira asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

I’m 13 and I’ve gone through two years of depression, I’m 11.5 stone, will walking 10 minutes every day make a difference?

And if it will make a difference, what difference will it make? How much stone would I be able to lose in how much time?

I’ve got a treadmill at home, so at what speed and for how long would be helpful.

• C

I think any movement helps with depression.  I know I feel more "together" when I'm very physically active but if life has kept me sedentary for a few days I begin to feel a little fuzzy around the edges.  If 10 minutes is all you can do at first it's a start.  After a while is will fly by and you'll do more.

Since it sounds like you're starting from a very low point of fitness (I'm not judging) put the treadmill on the lowest setting and wear trainers that grip your feet properly.  Then pick a podcast and concentrate on listing to it as you walk.  I think you'll soon be up in a whole "episode" at a time.

To use an apt expression, don't run before you can walk.  Make regular walking part of your routine and when it begins to feel too easy (it shouldn't take long) and your mind a bit less fuzzy look more closely again at the weight loss.  How do I say this without sounding like a dinosaur?  No 13 year old girl sees herself entirely objectively and her expectations are based on where she thinks she should be rather than what her age cohort actually look like.  In a cruet twist of fate you'll only see what you really look when you're much older, look back at pictures and kick yourself.  If you keep steadily ramping up the time you spend not sitting or lying down and aim to make half your plate vegetables you will get to where you're supposed to go.  If you find a sport that speaks to you that's fantastic but realistically not everyone has opportunities available.

PS, a thing I discovered long ago, what you read when you walk (or use an exercycle) will stick in your mind better than what you read sitting down (or flopped on your bed) which is worth bearing in mind come revision time.  

Everything will be ok.

You will be alright and will do well :-)

I don’t know how many pounds 11.5 stone is because I’m American. And I’m too lazy to look it up right now. But what I would recommend besides exercise which is good for depression and to curb appetite would be to try to learn a musical instrument if you have any talent or just would like to learn anyway. If you work at it you don’t need to have a lot of inborn talent. Or singing. Whatever.  It’s very therapeutic and it can help with depression instead of taking those neurotoxic psych drugs which will ruin your life. Believe me I know what I’m talking about. Or take up art, painting, drawing whatever. Something creative. It really helps with depression in my experience. Helps keep you alive anyway. Music exercises certain areas of your brain which stimulate creativity and make it easier to deal with life’s hardships. When I get really stressed out I just sit down at the piano or pick up the guitar. Or go to the gym when I can. Which is in fairy creative but it can make you feel better. And keep using your treadmill. 10 minutes a day is better than nothing.

And whatever you do stay away from psychiatric drugs. I was a pretty happy healthy person before they fvcked  me up on those. Now I’m barely surviving.

• Kira1 month agoReport

A lot of people have actually told me I’m amazing at singing, and I like playing the piano.

Only if you start eating healthy.   Ignore others and fad diets.   Just eat healthy, which is whole plants and grains.

your body is still developing into a young woman....if u feel ur bit overweight n not really comfy with your body...then only YOU can make the changes...make healthier choices when eating meals...smaller portions....dont skip meals ...drink plenty of water....n yes..exercise...get on ur treadmill every day for bout 1/2 hr n put it on a speed u feel comfy with n then u can adjust it each day to give urself a challenge*  walking 10 min a day wont do anything for you, but brisk walking for 20min Will*..u have to get ur heart rate up ....dancing..swimming....go for bike ride.....take an aerobics class but u have to change what ur eating n how much ur eating n u have to stay active to lose weight* u want to lose it in a healthy way NOT drastically as it WILL come back*

• patty

one hour will make a difference. Just go for a relaxed walk outside/

• Geneva1 month agoReport

So if you’ve really tried doing more than 10 mins of walking and it truly hurts, don’t push yourself to the point where you quit. There are a crap ton of calisthenic exercises that get your heart rate up and burn calories that are modified workouts for those who can’t do normal workouts. Good luck!

No, it won't make any different. make it 30 minutes.

• Eva

10 minutes a day will not make much difference at all in your weight, but may improve your mood. 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day would give you some benefit in weight loss. Combine that with some dietary changes to hasten your weight loss.

• .

10 mins is a very short period of time, but it's a start. Fat loss is 80% about your diet (what you eat) and 20% about your exercise. A BRISK 10 minute walk may give you a calorie boost of an extra 50 calories a day (maybe not that many) but it may be good for your mood and your circulation. Starting any kind of exercise/activity can be the stepping stone to becoming more active. Exercise is known to be a mood booster and stress reliever. When you feel better emotionally all of Life becomes a little brighter and you may begin to have the desire to take further steps to improve your health and fitness.

• Linda

I also suffer from depression, Kira, and I have for many years. You're so young to already have this. I am working hard to lose weight and walking 10 minutes a day will help you as long as you also watch what you eat and portion size. If you eat a hamburger a day from McDonalds with fries and down soda and cookies, don't expect walking to help much. You must do both to achieve weight loss. You can expect to lose about one or two pounds per week as long as you are consistent. Count calories and carbs and try not to exceed about 1400 calories per day. If you want more advice, go to sparkpeople.com and they give you a free daily journal to record what you eat and exercise videos and even people you can connect with to lose weight together and motivational videos. We can do this. Good luck!

Source(s): Sparkpeople user

Walking 10 minutes a day is better than nothing.  However, you'll want to walk for at least 30 - 60 minutes/day to notice any significant difference.  During the first 30 minutes your body is burning through the sugars it has stored, after that your body starts using stored fat.  You need to be doing it at a fairly brisk pace too maybe 3.5 mph (roughly 5 km/hr).

The other (huge) thing is, diet.  Eat more veggies, fruits for snacks instead of pastas, breads, sweets.  Drink tons of water, cutting out anything that is sugared (soda, gatorade, etc).

At your age, you should still have a good metabolism so once your body starts moving it's going to burn the calories quicker.  The combination of diet & exercise is key.

Don't get discouraged - it is going to take time!