Trading in car with engine problems. ?

If I wanted to trade in my current car at a dealership. Would I have to let them know of any problems that I’m aware of? 

In my case its a lost communication with transmission control module. (Code:U0101)

If they don’t find anything at the time of the trade in / sale. But they find problems down the road. Is there anything that they can do that will affect me? or require to return the car.

The dealers do this every day, they will give you an offer and you take it or do not take it.

• Bort

It depends on whether you want to be honest or you want the most you can get out of the trade. If you tell them it's going to decrease their offer.

That is a sensor on the transmission that might be a fairly expensive little part but it's not difficult to fix and change. It might be your best option to get the sensor replaced before trading it in so there honestly aren't any problems with it that you know about.

You are actually paying to take the car off your hands.

Nothing they can do,  That is why they give you little money as a trade in.  They already factored that in.  Even if the car was perfect, you lose.  Same story if you buy a used car from them.  What you see is what you get. Dealers win, whether buying or selling.

Sounds like a simple ground wire issue or some corrosion on a wire plug. I'd take it to an electrical shop and have them look at it. Might take less than an hour to fix it. Shops that specialize in electrical issues are usually incredibly faster than your average Goober grease monkey shops. 

They will inspect the car and make you an offer based on the inspection.

They won't keep it long enough to discover any faults it will be straight to auction or a drive now pay later car lot

Just don't make any claims about the vehicle's condition. Dealers don't expect to get perfect cars on trade ins. So they don't even ask.

• JetDoc

Before a dealer will accept your car for a trade, they will take it out for a road test. Once they drive it, they will determine its value and make you an offer. Once you accept the offer and trade the car, it's THEIR car and THEIR problem. Odds are they won't keep it on their used car lot anyway. Most trade-ins go straight to the auction yard.

• arther

don't tell them and hope it doesn't appear if they look at it . Your not a mechanic and no where in the trade in contract do they ask you to declare your old car is a good car they wont give you much for it anyway.

I would tell them otherwise, while it's not likely, they can sue if they were sold something not as described.