Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

Is it okay to have your newborn baby sleep in your closet?

I understand that people now have started changing their walk-in closets into nurseries. However, a gal I know is expecting and they are planning on putting the baby in their closet that it is not a walk-in. The closet is big enough for just a crib mattress not even a crib and nothing else. Should I be concerned? I've heard views on both sides that it's wrong of them to do that and then others says it's fine because it's their kid and they can decide.

NO.  For the first three months, baby must sleep in a cradle next to mom.  After        3-months, then move baby into a crib in his or her own room.  Closets are for clothing - NOT for people to sleep in.

Of course its fine.  If they are locking their child in the closet or neglecting it that is one thing.  If you are short on space and making creative use of all spaces, that is another.  Parents shouldn't be judged on their economic circumstances. As long as the child is cared for and loved, why does it matter?  If the closet is set up so the baby can sleep safely, then they are fine.

Hell Yeah Bro!!!! That's how you get yourself the chosen one to save the wizarding world. Name that kiddo Harry and you'll have a great joke to tell to the bois in the slammer for that child neglect case you've got in your future! 

call children and youth services in your area and ask them. I would be concerned because of mice or bugs or spiders and the baby getting bitten

• GB

If they plan to do this, it would be best to take the door off the close.

That would depend on how much space is available ... but I'd be careful with my newborn toddler , it will need alot of attention .

Frankly I would never do that, it would be dangerous if the door was closed and the parents could not easily hear their baby. Why would they not just get a bassinet and have it in the room with them?

Door open - not a problem

Door closed - BIG ISSUE

A small closet with the door closed would NOT maintain a comfortable room temperature for a baby.  In the winter, it could easily become too cold and in the summer, it could easily become too hot.

I don’t think the baby will die, I’ve heard stories of people putting babies in drawers years ago, both I won’t do it because I would think the baby would get enough oxygen and wouldn’t dare take that chance

• Suzy Q

OPEN drawers, not closed ones. 

Assuming they aren't closing the door and are securing it against baby rolling off, it basically becomes a crib.