Why is God invisible?

I’m a Christian. However, I do doubt my faith at times, and that’s normal. Sometimes, I question why God took my Brother, my ex, and my grandparents. I find it difficult to worship something you cannot see. Why couldn’t God just appear to us and let us see him? 

If humans saw God, that would kill them. God "dwells in unapproachable light" and "Without holiness, no-one will see the Lord" we're told in the Bible. That's why we humans cannot see God until we are made pure and translated into Heaven. But God DOES appear to some people who sincerely seek Him. Here is a true experience of a man brought up as a Muslim. When he was about 14 years of age he was disturbed at hearing China had acquired the atomic bomb and feared a third World War might start. He started asking the Big Questions of life - and death - and many doubts flooded his young mind. Bear in mind that although he had been brought up to believe in Allah, he had no belief in Jesus Christ as being anything other than a good man, a prophet to be respected as one of many prophets. He began to doubt if there was any God.

This is what he wrote in his book: "I recall saying a prayer to God one night, looking for answers to this dilemma. My prayer was not theologically correct, so to speak, but it was said quite sincerely. I believe God heard my prayer and graciously answered it in His own way and in His own time. The prayer I said went something like this: 'Dear God, IF THERE IS A GOD, and you are interested in me - I don't know why you would be interested in a foreigner such as me; no one else is - but if you are there and show yourself to me, I will follow you'."  

Some years later, God answered that prayer when he woke up in the middle of the night: "As soon as I did so, I realised that I was in the presence of the living God. I did not hear anything or see any visible sign but somehow, I just knew that God was there in the room with me. I broke down in tears." He was filled with awareness of God's holiness and wanted to hide from it. "There was no thought of me being a good Muslim or even a good person... Then, and I still do not know how to this day, I knew that the presence of the living God in that room with me was none other than Jesus Christ! It was not an angel or Abraham or Moses... It was not the Muslim prophet Muhammad. No, it was the Lord Jesus Christ! Then I discovered, to my utter surprise, that Jesus was not condemning me at all. No, I was simply condemning myself! There was no doubt whatsoever that, on my own merit, I could never face Him. I was lost and helpless. What could I do? 

"At that point, whilst I don't think I heard a physical voice, I nevertheless heard Jesus say in my mind, 'Riaz, come follow me'. At the same time, I saw him wave his hand of invitation, which I could not refuse... I said simply, 'Come into my heart, Lord Jesus. I can't live without you. From this day on, I will follow you'. That night, I became a Christian!" From "What's Up, Doc?" by Dr. Riaz Mohammed (WestBow Press, 2019)

A Christian NEVER doubts God........even if we can't see him.

Remember, EVERY religion has a 'God' - something they totally believe in even if they can't see their 'God'.  God is in your heart.

• Saad M

God the All Creator is everywhere.

you cannot see electricity but you know if you plug something in it is there, you do not need to see something to have faith. Romans 1:20

For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable. And think of the example of Jesus when he was on the earth. He performed all those miracles and yet there were many who saw these and yet did not see him as the son of God but plotted to kill him.I will try to add a link to a small article for you to read that gave me some comfort when i had doubts.

Because he chooses to be.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

Interesting that the invisible and the nonexistent look the same..

God is a Spirit; He lives outside of our physical universe.

• daylily61

Respectfully, Bobby Jim, I disagree.   Of course the Lord does live outside of our physical universe, but He also lives WITHIN it, too 🌷

• No one can see God and yet live is what the Bible says. God doesn't take anyone, we die because of inherited sin from our forefather, Adam..

He's only invisible to humans..

• Paul

We cannot actually see Him since He is pure Spirit, with no physical body. But He allows us to experience Him in many different ways, as you will discover if you continue to seek Him. And the causes of death are well understood. Whatever caused the death of your loved ones, it wasn't God.

• antonius

"..He allows us to experience Him in many different ways"  LOL!. Only those who have put themselves through self-hypnosis, only believe that nonsense.