Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 month ago

Severe lower back pain? ?

For the past 2 weeks about, I have had severe - to the point of sobbing- lower back pain. I work a physical job but only 1-2 days a week. This past week I have not worked. I wake up with extreme pain and cannot bend over without pain. Even leaning to pick something up hurts. The pain lessens throughout the day but is still there. When I wake up, it starts all over again. I have given thought to my mattress and am getting a new one in a week. I have replaced my pillows. I sometimes run, but not in the last 2 weeks. It is the most dehabilitating pain I have ever experienced. When I sit, walk, or run it hurts. It feels like it’s at my core too, not just at the skin or whatever. It has not yet ceased. It hurts no matter what I do- sit at home all day or run 3 miles and go out etc. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? A muscle strain? I need some advice because google just says to put an ice pack on it. I will, of course, see a doctor if it does not cease. If anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

• Jojo

Sounds like it `could` be the sciatica nerve is pinched and causing pain. You really DO need to see a doctor about this issue as he can get you a more positive diagnosis and some treatment as appropriate. 

Meanwhile Co-codamol (over the counter) may help with the pain.

I suffer from sciatica pain, so know how bad the pain can be if you do have this condition. Keep moving as much as you can, as sitting still seems to `set` it and its hard to get moving again. 

Well, the first thing you might stop doing is running three miles a day. Every time your foot hits the pavement, it impacts your spine and causes the discs to "smack" toward each other. This tends to wear the cushion between the discs right out. And eventually a person ends up with back pain, and sometimes severe.

My landlords (husband and wife) ran all their lives. They are 71 and 82. they both have dire back issues and knee problems from the running. And yes, it will happen to you eventually if you keep up with the running.

Walking briskly is just as good without the impact to your spine. And there are elliptical exercise machines, too.

Go see your doctor. He might give you a referral to a physical therapist. Or you can ask to see one. He will probably also order x-rays

As someone with hypermobile EDS (it's a connective tissue disorder it affects my joins mostly leaving me with incredible joint pain such as in my back, neck, ankles, and sometimes hips when walking too long) I can say I feel your pain what you need to do is see a doctor it could be a muscle strain but it could be something much more better late than sorry. When you make a appointment with your doctor they will most likely say it's a muscle strain and if they don't do anything about it then in a few weeks to a month make another appointment. I hurt my back in 2018 due to a cheer injury and my doctor just told me it was a muscle strain but after that a year later I forced them to get me x-rays which ended me up into having a bone bruise on my spine and a chipped vertebrae two years later and it's still healing because of how I treated my back. If you have a heating pad use it, it will help you SO much and even though google says just use Ice actually use it ice will be your best friend. I have this gel ice packs that you can freeze and take out and they work amazing. Use medication when needed and if you go to the doctor maybe they'll give you some medication to use and it'll help with your back. There's only so much you can do ice, heat, rest, and medication WILL be your best friend. I know it's a bland answer but it's the truth!