Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 month ago

How many hours do professional ballet dancers perform, rehearse etc and how often and what time?

So what's the difference between a rehearsal and performance day?

I answered a similar question on this site several years ago. I hope you don’t mind that I just copied and pasted from that. Hence the quotes to denote my copy and paste. This is based on a professional ballet dancer at NYCB. Not everything in this answer addresses only what you have asked. It goes into prior training as well. *Note: add jet lag and travel to the mix and the schedule changes greatly on those days. 

“Typical day.. you wake up around 8:30, have coffee and stretch then breakfast, walk to the subway and head for class where you stretch, than a 1 hr 45 mins. ballet class followed by rehearsal. Have late lunch then go back home and take a nap around 3:30. Wake up about an hour later and eat something walk to the subway and stop for coffee and coconut water and head for the theater. Arrive 1/2 hour before curtain time. Stretch and warm up back stage. Have a small snack at intermission and drink plenty of water. After the show drink more water and then out for dinner at around 11 PM and go home and crash in bed. Not too romantic.

You take class everyday even on show days or on rehearsal days. It is rather a cut throat industry and depending on what ballets are up for the season and the height of the male dancers in the company or who they like to partner you with, it has a lot to do with how you are cast. The nature of the repertory each season has a lot to do with it too. The career is very short and over in a flash and then you have the bulk of your life to figure out what you do next. 

Training for the ballet is very hard. You give up friends and family and often have to dorm at your ballet academy so you can take multiple classes a day. You take about 30 hours of ballet technique classes a week and even more in the summer months. You academics are also often arranged by your academy or you do home schooling so you can finish high school early and apprentice for the ballet at age 16. Some do it as early as 15 and others at 17. Six months later you are asked to join the company as corps de ballet. Training starts young at about 7 or 8 with a cut off of 10 or 11 for untrained dancers. It is different for the men in the ballet. They can start much later.

I hope I have answered your question. I did the best I could.“

• mintchips49

For a rehearsal day you start the same way but after class you go to rehearsal. That can vary in length depending on your part and the rehearsal schedule. Some days are short and others can go into overtime ( with overtime pay.)