Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

My son has oral hypersensitivity to food.. could that be a sign of autism ?

My son is almost 11 months and has difficulty eating baby food. He eats a few bites of it then is done with it and seems to be having trouble swallowing and gags on food, so I took him to a rehabilitation therapist and they told me he has oral hypersensitivity to foods and has trouble swallowing. I read before that eating problems could be a sign of autism. So could this be a sign that he has autism???

Take him to a "real" doctor, maybe he has something wrong with his throat and that is why he is choking and gagging like that.

• LizB

Extreme texture sensitivities *can* be a symptom of sensory processing disorders or autism, but they can also exist on their own. ARFID, for example, is an eating disorder in children and adults that can coexist with other conditions, or can exist as its own independent condition. But with your baby not even being a year old yet, it's a bit premature to start assuming that his oral hypersensitivity isn't something he could simply outgrow in time. Plenty of young kids have behavioral peculiarities that disappear (or at least substantially lessen) as they reach other developmental milestones.

This is not a sign of autism. I would know because my brother has autism and i live with him everyday of my life. If he had autism there would be at least 4 signs of autism. Here is a link to a site with signs of autism in infants: https://mommabe.com/signs-of-autism-in-infants/ Even if he has at least four symptoms it does not always mean he has autism. If you see at least four of these signs in your son you should consult a doctor.

he needs to get checked for it