Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Can a book have too much diversity?

People always say they want more diverse characters in books, but is it possible to have too much diversity?

You might as well ask if a novel has too many words, chapters, and many characters.

Only if the book is only trying to introduce more diversity at the expense of the story

I'm going to say yes... if it's forced, and there's diversity just for the sake of diversity. It's even worse if the author stereo-types, so you have the white guy hero, the funny, flamboyant gay "drama queen", the white trash tough guy, the skinny Asian nerd, the black guy that's almost as cool as the white guy hero, the old guy who's still fit (but who'll eventually bite the dust saving the others), the bad *** girl, the sweet, sensitive girl who needs protection etc.

And I say this as a person who is a minority in more ways than one.

It's not a question of 'too much' or 'too little'  diversity. Any problem in a novel is far more likely to arise from the author being "not a good enough writer".

A good writer can handle any number of things that a bad or inexperienced writer will stumble over.

• bluebellbkk

Thanks. Yes, I often find myself driven to drawing up family trees when I'm reading a complicated novel. I leave the piece of paper tucked into the book to help the next person to read it!

Anything can be over done.

• in my opinion yes, i'd rather it not.

Not if the storyline fits it properly.

It is annoying if story-tellers concentrate on social justice rather than a plot of their story. This is evident in mainstream television shows now. I can't think of a show that doesn't have someone who is gay or lesbian or is attached to someone of another culture or someone who is living in an open triangle (a throuple).

• JerryL

same it needs to stop

i have no idea haha

• Nancy

The only way there is too much is if it comes off as inauthentic and contrived, if it doesn't fit with the story or is so extreme that it shatters readers' suspension of disbelief.