Is it okay to just feed my baby formula and nothing else until she’s 6 months old?

I wana do baby led weaning. My daughter is 5 months old so in about a months time I’m Gona start her on solid foods and I can’t wait! She’s been fine with just having her bottles of formula through the day. My boyfriends mom tho is asking why I haven’t started giving her baby food and it’s ridiculous that she’s 5 months old and I wana wait til 6 month. I’m starving her etc bla bla bla.

If I thought she seemed hungry and wanted more than milk then I would give her something but she’s fine. This is what I want to do I don’t see the problem. God I can’t stand overbearing grandparents.

What do you think mamas?

She’s a good weight and sleeps all through the night, so I still don’t see the issue

Not only is it "okay," it's recommended.  Breastmilk and/or formula only the first six months, then solids if baby is ready.  Not before six months.  And even at six months, it's a bite or two of solids AFTER nursing or a bottle.

Why hasn't your boyfriend told his mom to mind her own business?

Regarding the WHO recommendations, in your case it would be formula rather than breastmilk.  

• Edna

When my son was a little over one month old, my doctor told me to feed him a couple of slurps of thinly-mixed Gerber Rice Cereal on a baby spoon once a day after his bottle. He also ate baby food out of jar after his bottle when he was 6 months old.

not at all in my opinion

Yes, but I would give your baby water also.

• GB

Your boyfriend's mom is probably going by the advice given when she had her children, which was to start  solids between  3 -5 months.  If your boyfriend is in his 20s, the advice from the professionals might have been the same as today, but she might have been following her mother's or granny's advice.  It might be advisable not to let your  boyfriend's mom babysit, until you have started to wean your daughter onto solids.

• Edna

The advice given to the boyfriend's mom is just as valid as is the advice given by the "professionals" today.

NHS guidelines are six months. Its pretty standard time. Some start a little earlier some later. Tell Granny you'll start when you're ready, there's no rush.

• Merry

I didn't start feeding my babies solids until they were 6 months old. 

They are youngest is 17yrs old. 

When they were babies it was common to begin rice cereal at a very young age, then slowly introduce puree vegetables and stewed fruit. 

But I held off and waited until they were actively showing an interest in food, until their immune system had matured a little.

My babies were never sick and have had no allergies or health issues.

Do your research (there is a lot of evidence to support waiting) 

But mostly be confident and firm on the choice that you have made a simple "Thanks for caring, I appreciate your concern for baby, I hope that you can respect that as her mother, this is my choice" 

She loves and cares about her grandchild and it's a hard relationship between a DIL and MIL ... Sometimes we see our DIL turn to their own mother's but not include us and that hurts particularly if we don't have daughters of our own. Be gentle but firm "I appreciate and value your input" "Baby is so lucky to have you... " 

If she continues to push maybe ask your baby's dad to speak with her. 

Your boyfriend's mum is learning her role - it can be hard to get it right and not overstep things ... Try to be gentle but firm & not create divides. She loves your daughter & she's coming from a good place. 

• L

I realize a lot of moms stick to this 'no food until the child is 6-months of age' but it sounds like your daughter is really hungry - so, start giving her baby foods.

• Tri-Harder

What exactly makes it sound like her daughter is hungry?  That's she's fine on her bottles? Besides, beginning solids aren't for filling, they're for experience.  The formula/breastmilk is still what "fills" them.

There is more than one correct way to do things.

The next time grandma asks, just tell her that you and dad have agreed to do things this way and if she has concerns, her son would be more than happy to discuss them with her.   And then quickly change the subject..."Isn't it so cute when she scrunches up her little face like that?"

Just redirect her to him.  He is just as much parent as you are, plus she's HIS mother and it's his job to establish appropriate boundaries with her.

She's "overbearing" because neither one of you are handling her appropriately.

As far as diet goes, if she's good weight and happy and sleeping through the night, I see no reason to invent a problem where there isn't one.   This goes for the MIL too.   If anything, you have a BF problem, not a MIL problem. 

My kids were already eating solids by 5 months. Only had a bottle at bed time

• Tri-Harder

Your kids at five months only had ONE bottle a day?  I somehow doubt your story.  

Not really !

What does your pediatrician say ? ?

• Edna

Yes, Tomalochk; pediatricians deal with babies this young all the time - they're baby doctors. A child less than one year of age is NOT a toddler. A toddler is a child aged 1 to 3 years. He's a "toddler" because he's just learning to walk & he "toddles" when he walks.

i think theyre just trying to help , shes not trying to be overbearing

• Tomalochk

She wants to feed the toddler formula ONLY .