Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Should I say something to my neighbor first or go straight to the landlord?

I live in a townhome and one of my neighbors has a dog. The dog poops outside in the backyard but she doesn’t pick it up. The picture is from my bedroom window (second floor). When I open the back door all I see is dog poop, like literally in front of my back door, it’s also in front of my living room window. I just don’t understand why she can’t clean up behind her dog. 

Send an anonymous letter, if nothing happens report it to the landlord. Nasty. 

• Kurt

If it's rental property, the lease would say to pick up after your pet. Otherwise, suggest that they keep the dog tn their yard. Being good neighbors is essential in home ownership.

• Ocimom

I would first talk to her about the mess and ask that it be cleaned up quickly before the landlord is notified.  Give her 2-3 days to do it and if its not cleaned up, contact the landlord and show him the pictures.  It would be helpful too if you can take a picture of her outside with the dog and not cleaning up when the dog poops.

• Bort

She doesn't clean it up probably due to laziness. Regardless of the reason she doesn't clean up after her pet it is required by law that a dog owner cleans up their pet's droppings. 

Do approach and talk to her, first. Ask her nicely to please clean up after her dog. If she doesn't do it in a reasonable amount of time, give her a day or 2 to do it, then contact the landlord and address it if the landlord also owns or manages her home. Your landlord can't do much more than you can do if he/she isn't also her landlord or property manager. 

If she doesn't clean it up in a few days the next step is contacting your city's code officer. They will instruct her to clean it up. If they don't follow the code officers instruction to do it she will be fined and could possibly have the animal taken from her since she's not being responsible and properly caring for it. 

Be reasonable yourself though. There's snow on the ground. It's cold out. I live in PA where we have more snow and cold months than we have warm nice weather. One year we had a few inches of snow, then a few inches of ice, then a few inches of snow, then another few inches of ice so we had about 2 feet of layers of it. I routinely let my dog out in the morning before leaving for work. My neighbors love my dog and come over to let her out and play with her while I'm at work which is great of them my dog and we both appreciate it very much. But that year they complained to the code officer because the weather was like that for several weeks and with my work schedule and because her droppings were in the yard, she doesn't go where people would normally walk (on walkways, she'll walk in to the bushes or hedges and drop it there - very good dog!), and I couldn't even see where it was because the layers of snow and ice covered it. When it did finally melt I had a huge mess of doggy business they complained about. 

I was upset because I am responsible with my dog and I do clean it up at least daily if not immediately like we're supposed to. Instead of saying something to me about it, we spoke often - daily - they would report how often they let my dog out and what they did with her (played ball, took her for a walk around the neighborhood....whatever) they called the code officer THE DAY all the snow melted and the mess appeared. Didn't even give me a chance. They knew my work schedule and knew I sometimes worked 90+ hours a week (and still properly cared for my dog, my lawn and garden and landscaping, and my home by myself). Give a guy a break ya know?

There was snow on the ground covering it. I couldn't see where it was until it melted and I wasn't going to shovel my entire lawn to find and clean up her poo. The day after the weather melted as I was in the yard with the scooper and a bucket caring for it the code officer showed up and did his thing saying there was a complaint about the dog waste threatening to fine me if I didn't care for it. I was doing it when he arrived. It was ridiculous and it wasn't cool that they didn't say anything to me and were ON it calling the cops instead of saying something to me first so I could explain "I'll get it as soon as the snow melts and I can see where it is TO get it.".

My property is fully fenced. It's not like her droppings were in front of their door or even on their property like it is in your situation. 

Do say something to your neighbor about it first. Don't be the jerk-hole neighbor who instantly calls the cops. Try to keep a good relationship with your neighbor. Them calling the cops right away on me reporting it instead of approaching me first put a wrench in our relationship. They are an older, retired, couple. I used to help them out without being asked by shoveling their entire walkways when it snowed and mowing their lawn for them when I did mine, did the maintenance on their vehicles for them, etc but they bit the gift horse in the mouth with that situation and I stopped doing it. 

• Ana

Hell yeah dude. I’d tell them to their face that I’m never shoveling their sh^t again and that they can go f*uck off with that. I’d report them too. I hate miserable people who do crap like that. It makes me so angry 

I´d tend to talk first to the neighbour if i have a problem with their dogs activities.. You should also i.m.h.o. ... Why breed bad blood between you ?

As you both have to live there currently.

At their direct refusal, or lack of action within a reasonable amount of time. Would be the first time i´d contact anyone of authority.

Take a dump on their porch at night. 

• Veschengro

From what the asker implies that would mean dumping on their own back doorsep also. Would it not ?

Just tell the landlord. It's not your job to policy THEIR tenants. The tenant would also probably just tell you to mind your own business.

Yes, in a townhouse or for that matter a single dwelling it should be picked up immediately..............no excuse............ I'd report it to the landlord, their job is to confront, if you do it, then your the bad "sqealer" but someone needs to confront. That's the good thing about a functioning HOA, we had a violation process, after 3 notices we fine people.

• Ana

Yeah I bet you fat suckletits at the HOA loooove to go on your Caribbean vacations with all the money you get from fining people. ****** Jews 

Talk to the neighbor. If she ignores you, then you tell your landlord.

I has this problems with my neighbor here in Germany, so I scoops up ze plops and posts it through her door with a note that it says, "cut ze poop or I rips your head off". It seems to do ze tricks!

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd with zee chronic drinking problem, his flocks and his dogs.
    • Verulam 1

Do two wrongs make a right?