Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

BF shared food and fork with his dog, how bad is this?

I've been dating this guy a little over a year.  I grew up in a house without pets and I don't have much experience with them in general.  I was a bit mortified when a couple days ago, during dinner, I saw him put a forkful of food entirely in the dogs mouth, then he went back to eating with the same fork.  From my brief research online, it is more likely to affect the dog than the human.  But I have seen the dog lick itself or eat stuff off the ground.  Then my bf went to kiss me later and I dodged it because I was too grossed out with him sharing food with the dog off the same fork.

My rule is the dogs get created while we eat.

Food off the fork would be a deal breaker for me.

• something fishy

Thanks so much!....so nice of you, most don't follow through on this part.

My roommates will eat on their fork, feed food to their dogs with same fork, then back into their mouth with same fork.

Very unsanitary. One of these these roommates is always sick every few weeks, the other, acts without sensibility.  Daft as a door knob.

Every one chooses how to live their life, I share food with my pets, but not in this manner, so my dog and I are always healthy.

Have you ever shared a drink or fork with a family member? It’s about the same... 

If you ever choose to own a dog, you’ll realize that little ball of fur loves you with all its heart, unlike anything else in the world, and you’ll probably feel different on how you treat that animal because of their loyalty to you. 

I don’t know one person who got a dog and wouldn’t own one again. Back to the point, germs are spread all the time and most of the time it’s no big deal. Dogs have to clean themselves with their mouths, and the “chemicals” in their mouths have to be able to take in “poop” and bacteria and stuff, and then the good bacteria has to clean all that stuff out of their mouths to be able to eat food and not get sick, so in reality, dogs mouths are much cleaner than human mouths. Dogs mouths may get “dirtier”, but they have to get cleaner in return because of how dirty they get. 

In many households the dogs get to lick the dinner plates. Just put the plate on the floor when you are through & let the dogs wash the dishes & pots & pans. Much easier to wash when it is rather clean already. Dishwasher will do the rest.

Sharing an ice cream cone with my dogs is a treat for all of us. I have a very strong immune system & I contribute it to the germs I have been exposed to. As a kid, played king of the mountain with baby goats & the mountain was the pile of goat turd raked into a large pile.

I feel so sorry for kids who have never had a pet. You've missed out on so much love. They love you no matter what. Unconditional love.

When me Basset Hound puppy licks me I lick back. It's very romantic. 

• W

For the people who fantasize that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's... that is only true for the humans that clean their anuses with their tongues. A dog's mouth is no less contaminated that a human's, just differently. And can be dangerous if it licks an open wound. 

Sweetie, I'm sure you're carrying FAR more bacteria than that dog is.

i wouldnt worry about it, i heard dogs have cleaner mouths than we do

That's going too far.Doesn't he realize dogs can pass on disease to humans.The corona virus was passed on by some dead animal in a fish market.

i heard dog's mouth are cleaner than people's

Apparently dogs have cleaner mouth than we do. I'd be the same way as you about it anyway lol