What's  the best safe activities and healthy snacks?

My grandma just had a stroke and cannot move around too much. She is able to be by herself for long periods of time.  I am taking care of her but work full time. She is able to walk but is at risk walking and i am learning tips and tricks. I got her a mini fridge and put her lunch in there, got her a snack container to put snacks and have a table set up to try to make her feel as independent as possible.  She has improved tremendously but needs assistance with the harder stuff. I have noticed that she would grab her own cookies but would eat the whole bag if she grabbed it herself so I started the snack tray of some cookies to keep her from eating the whole bag. The issue is i notice that i have put mainly sweets that she likes and it needs to be more healthy. I need more ideas on healthier items to put in there for her. I also need help on ideas on cooking healthier meals. I went shopping for healthy items amd spent over 200 dollars vs the cheaper unhealthy food. Also, i feel bad about her sitting at he while i work. I was wondering if there was any ideas ln activities for her to do while she sits there safely. I don't want her to do these activities standing by herself risking her falling. I tried to reach out to the senior's activities where she can take field trips with other seniors but they say she needs to be more capable to be able to go since there is no setup for assistance yet. Are there any other resources for seniors because ibwant her to go out more

Have you checked the Senior Centers in your area?

• Frank

At her age and frailty I think she'll appreciate more having you leave things that she especially likes rather than healthy snacks.  Try a bit of both - a treat and a 'healthy' snack.  Only you know what she actually likes. At her age don't try new things. Older people don't take to new things too readily. Familiarity is good as we age.

Her doctor really should be the one to tell her what to eat and what activies she can do if she is recvering from a stroke.

The bes workout she can do for now is to do a lot of walking.

Eat fruits,nuts,yogurts for snacks, if she like popcorn that is fine as long as she goes easy on the butter and salt.

I don't know what happens outside the UK, but when my husband had a major bleed stroke he was hospitalised for 17 weeks.   When he was fit enough to be discharged, our then home was checked to see how safe it was going to be for him.   And I had a care package in place which over time, I gradually reduced to only having a carer come in to get him through the bathroom first thing.   That gave me the chance to exercise and feed our then 5 hounds.  The second girl came in around 5.30 pm to PUT HIM TO BED!!   I ask you.  And she shouted at him - he wasn't deaf!!   I dropped her fast.

Coming out of hospital was like coming from feast to famine however but eventually he recovered enough for his care to be left with me alone.   Which was a well as the one carer who still came in, kept talking about Dementia - he wasn't suffering from that either!

I think, for now, you really should see if you can organise for somebody to come in during the hours you are not there.  That would keep her far safer, and give you more peace of mind.

Talk to her Stroke Team.   I wish your gran. well - recovery is all different, but usually the most recovering is done during the first year.   After that it slows down considerably.

Card games, older tv shows from her time, (makes them feel younger) and no processed food, only fresh food, steamed buttered veggies would do the trick