Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

HOW CAN I GET MY BABY ON A SLEEP SCHEDULE?!?!?

My 11 month old baby will NOT go to sleep until 1am and even sometimes 3 or 4am some nights! And when he does go to sleep early in the morning, he’ll wake up a few times after that. He’s gotten so spoiled that most nights he will not sleep unless he’s laying on my chest. He will sleep for maybe an hour or two in his crib then wake up. I laid him on my chest just to see if he would fall asleep like that and he did. He’s gotten used to sleeping on my chest that when he cries in his crib, I pick him up and lay him on my chest and he instantly falls asleep. He will cry louder and louder until I pick him up from his crib. I have not had a good nights sleep since the day before he was born. If I’m lucky, once in a great while he’ll fall asleep at 1am and not wake up until about 9am and sleep in his crib all night but he hasn’t done that for a long time. I’m stressed out and am overly tired. I don’t have anyone who helps me out with him. I am thinking about putting him in his own room but don’t want to regret it Incase he wakes up several times a night (which he probably will) because then I’ll be walking up and down the stairs all night. During the day he’ll take a nap anywhere between 1 to 3 hours and it’s always either sometime around 2 or 3pm or it’s as late as 5 or 6pm depending on him and how tired he is. I really want to get him on a strict sleeping schedule so it’ll help him sleep through the night because I can’t do the waking up at 3am and 6am and 9am every. Single. Night.

....especially since he’s 11 months old. I just don’t know how I’ll get him on a sleep schedule since he will absolutely not go to sleep until after midnight. 

I experienced the same thing with my baby #1. Those days he didn't sleep. Whenever he got up, he cried loudly. I couldn't do anything. Those days were the tough days in my life. Then when I complained this to my doc, he recommended the baby sleep tea by secrets of tea. I gave this tea to my baby  for 2 months. and yes he started to sleep peacefully and he slept like 10 hours per day.  

Personally, I would use the crib as a side sleeper to have him in contact with you.  He isn't spoiled, he just needs human contact.    Earlier in the night, both of you go to bed, keeping everything quiet and soothing.  No lights, no toys, no talking.  If he cries, that's fine, you can still maintain contact with him and let him cry.  Same during the night - no stimulation, just soothing.   Wake him earlier in the morning, don't let him have unlimited naps during the day.

Where is his father?  Someone else should also be taking some of the night hours.  And keep in mind, he's still within the range to need night feeding/soothing.  I have five kids, none slept through the night until 18 months.  (Edward saying four months is absolutely ridiculous, it's extremely uncommon for babies to sleep through the night at four months unless their parents have practiced abandonment and ignored their needs.)

• edward

He should be able to sleep through most nights at 4 months ish. It’s getting a little late for him to start doing it now