I just got a letter to be picked for “Jury Duty”?? How does that work?

It says on this letter: “You are hereby notified that you have been selected to serve as a trial juror in the County District Court”?? I’ve Never done it before?? Are they gonna pay me for this?? How much does jury duty pay?

Congratulations on getting called up for jury duty. It is an honor and a privilege.

You'll go to the courthouse on your assigned date and go to the jury assembly room. You'll spend a lot of time sitting around and waiting so bring something to occupy your mind. Then you and the other jurors will be taken to a courtroom where lawyers trying the case will select jurors. You'll be asked a lot of questions pertaining to the case. Answer them truthfully and as best you can. Based on your answers, you'll be chosen for the jury-or not.

You do get paid for jury duty, but not much-like $20 a day, but it varies from courthouse to courthouse.

• ricky

Pay isn’t much, but it’s something. Remember hearing that “they” found him guilty? Or “they” decided this or that? Well, you have the honor of being part of “they”. Be fair!

• Brian

$6/day here in Texas. Does not cover meals/parking/transportation. And that's only if you get picked.

• TB12

It's different in different places,, where I live they do pay you,,, $6.00 a day,,,,

Incidentally, parking around the courthouse is $15.00 a day,,,, they do not reimburse you for parking.

It works exactly like it says it works in the letter you say they sent you. Those letters go into great explanation. So if you really got that letter, sit down and actually read it.

How much does jury duty pay? Well, it varies by jurisdiction, but you can find out how much your jurisdiction pays by, again, reading that letter, because if you really got such a letter, it definitely tells you how much you get paid, usually not much, for jury duty.

Where I live, they pay what amounts to $15 a day.  But my employer provides jury duty benefits, meaning my employer pays me for work I miss because of jury duty.  The catch: I have to fork over my $15 a day.  Since I earn a hell of a lot more than $15 a day at work, it's well worth it. Plus, I think the point of me signing over those checks to them isn't so much for the measly $15 but rather those checks serve as proof that I was on jury duty, better proof than any letter because forging government checks that will clear the bank is a lot more difficult than forging a letter.